Thread: Problems getting Dead Keys to work under US Int'l Keyboard

Default Problems getting Dead Keys to work under US Int'l Keyboard

Hi everyone:

I've been trying to add additional keyboard layouts on my laptop (such as US int'l, German, and French) using 'Personal Settings > Keyboard Layouts', in the hope that they would enable me to enter diacritics, but something doesn't seem to work.

When I try to enter, for example, the character "" (e accent grave; key combination = '+ e) on the US int'l keyboard, the cursor doesn't move after pressing the dead key (') (leading me to believe that it is fulfilling its function to some extent), but when I press 'e', all I get is a regular 'e' without accent.

I've also tried to setup a Composite key (again under 'Personal Settings > Keyboard Layouts > xkb Options'), but this doesn't work either.

Tried everything from under Yast2, too, but this seems to be worse still since I don't even get an icon for switching keyboard layouts in the System Tray, not to mention working dead keys.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

homoludens

My work environment is:
    Laptop: Panasonic Let's Note CF-Y2
    KDE: 3.5.9 "release 49.1"
    Kernel: Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae i686
    Keyboard: Japanese jp106

My keyboard settings seem to be, according to /etc/X11/xorg.config:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver       "kbd"
      Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
      Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
      Option       "XkbLayout" "jp"
      Option       "XkbModel" "jp106"
      Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    EndSection

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problems getting Dead Keys to work under US Int'l Keyboa

I'm not sure of a solution for you.

But have you considered add in the kde3 Build Service repo so upgrade kde3 - it adds some nice features and I find it Rock Solid
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.0
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I don't know about the US keyboard but there are no dead keys on the GB keyboard. On the French keyboard most accents are where the numbers would be, as on a normal French keyboard. So is 7. Circumflex and diaeresis use [ as their dead key on my keyboard; so circumflex is [+character and diaeresis is Shift[+character.

On the German keyboard is [ is ; and is '.

Thanks for the replies.

Well, for the time being, I'm using the Swiss keyboard layout as a makeshift solution (it features both French accents and German umlauts in easily accessible places).

But I'd really like to figure out why I can't get the dead keys to work on my laptop. Ideally I'd like to use the US int'l keyboard layout since I'm used to the layout of the punctuation keys.

Cheers,

homoludens

Use xmodmap to dump your current keyboard mapping to a file, tweak that, then use xmodmap to apply the tweaks. It should at least list the dead keys, which is a start.

KJ44,

thanks for the tip. Convenient command, xmodmap is.

The setup of the keyboard seems alright, though. Keycode 49, for instance, is defined as:
    Code:
    keycode  49 = dead_grave dead_tilde grave asciitilde grave asciitilde
    So I'm really wondering why the dead keys are not working, that is, on which level the problem is. Apparently not the keyboard. But then where?