Gnome settings daemon croaks

I just installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on a Dell Precision 490. At first it appeared to work, but a couple days later, when I powered it on, I got an error box about the Gnome settings daemon not starting up. (“Process /usr/lib/control-center-2.0/gnome-settings-daemon exited with status 1”). This leaves me with a blank gray screen and no desktop, though I can still get a shell through SSH.

I STFW and found several references to the problem (incl. one on these forums), but no solutions. I can’t even re-install OpenSUSE because Fedora7 occupies half of my hard drive, and the OpenSUSE installer seems to want to either claim those partitions or delete them, but there is no option to leave them the hell alone.

Anyone have any idea what to do about this? PS: I can’t use OpenSUSE 11 because a licensing issue prevents Jungo-generated USB drivers from working. I have to stick with 10.3.

TIA,
-Jon

Hi Jon & welcome!

There could be different reasons for this. One could be some setting in your user profile is not in order.
Have you tried creating a new user account and logging in with that?

What happens when you log in as root? Does it then load to the Desktop?

Have you also looked in the .xsession-errors file in your users home directory? Could be there are some clues in there.

If this does not help move on to updating the system to make sure you are using the latest packages for 10.3.

You can update on the console by logging in as root and then entering:
zypper ref
zypper up

& reboot.

Hope that helps,
Wj

ps. I’ve seen strange issues with logging in in the past, turned out to be caused by a full file system.
check with ’ df -H ’ & ’ mount ’ that at least the root (and your home) has enough space and is not marked readonly.

I don’t even get a login box, so I can’t log in as anybody. I’ll try doing the zypper update from a SSH tho & see what happens. Thx for the suggestion.

How about starting the system in runlevel 3 (init 3 as boot option), logging in as user or root and running startx?