Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: HDD heats up fast

  1. #1

    Default HDD heats up fast

    Hello

    My laptop HDD reaches 190 degrees temperature and SUSE shows a message within 45 minutes of usage. Is my fan somehow not detected? Please suggest.

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Cross_AM wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > My laptop HDD reaches 190 degrees temperature and SUSE shows a message within 45 minutes of usage. Is my fan somehow not detected? Please suggest.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Help me interpret smartctl output.
    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
    Please note the following marginal Attributes:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    190 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 060 034 045 Old_age Always In_the_past 281471354667048

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,498
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Cross_AM
    Cross_AM wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > My laptop HDD reaches 190 degrees temperature and SUSE shows a
    > message within 45 minutes of usage. Is my fan somehow not detected?
    > Please suggest.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Help me interpret smartctl output.
    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
    Please note the following marginal Attributes:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
    UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 190 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022
    060 034 045 Old_age Always In_the_past 281471354667048
    Hi
    190 is the ID, normally the raw value in the last column is the
    temperature. I would install hddtemp and use that, easier to read

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 1 day 11:54, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.35, 0.32
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  4. #4

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Hi
    > 190 is the ID, normally the raw value in the last column is the
    > temperature. I would install hddtemp and use that, easier to read
    >

    Thank you. I will do it now. Meanwhile this is what I got from syslog.

    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Device: /dev/sda, Failed SMART usage Attribute: 190 Temperature_Celsius.
    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Sending warning via /usr/lib/smartmontools/smart-notify to root@localhost ...
    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Warning via /usr/lib/smartmontools/smart-notify to root@localhost produced unexpected output (68 bytes) to STDOUT/STDERR: method return sender=:1.10 ->
    dest=:1.27 reply_serial=2 uint16 0
    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Warning via /usr/lib/smartmontools/smart-notify to root@localhost: successful
    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Temperature_Celsius changed from 69 to 45
    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 31 to 55
    Nov 6 19:30:44 linux-ctu3 smartd[3327]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage Attribute: 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered changed from 73 to 53

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,498
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    [QUOTE=Cross_AM]Malcolm wrote:
    > Hi
    > 190 is the ID, normally the raw value in the last column is the
    > temperature. I would install hddtemp and use that, easier to read
    >

    Thank you. I will do it now. Meanwhile this is what I got from syslog.
    <snip>
    Hi
    Have you run a full test on the drive with smartctl? If it is looking
    suspect, I would make sure to backup and then replace the drive....

    Do you have good cooling in place for the drive?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 1 day 12:49, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.33, 0.20
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  6. #6

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Malcolm wrote:
    > [QUOTE=Cross_AM]Malcolm wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> 190 is the ID, normally the raw value in the last column is the
    >> temperature. I would install hddtemp and use that, easier to read
    >>

    > Thank you. I will do it now. Meanwhile this is what I got from syslog.
    > <snip>
    > Hi
    > Have you run a full test on the drive with smartctl? If it is looking
    > suspect, I would make sure to backup and then replace the drive....
    >
    > Do you have good cooling in place for the drive?
    >

    Its a laptop. I find temperatures in the range of 58-60 after about 15 minutes usage. Thats I doubt the fan.

  7. #7

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Cross_AM wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> [QUOTE=Cross_AM]Malcolm wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> 190 is the ID, normally the raw value in the last column is the
    >>> temperature. I would install hddtemp and use that, easier to read
    >>>

    >> Thank you. I will do it now. Meanwhile this is what I got from syslog.
    >> <snip>
    >> Hi
    >> Have you run a full test on the drive with smartctl? If it is looking
    >> suspect, I would make sure to backup and then replace the drive....
    >>
    >> Do you have good cooling in place for the drive?
    >>

    > Its a laptop. I find temperatures in the range of 58-60 after about 15 minutes usage. Thats I doubt the fan.

    The short test was passes without error. However, I had to abort th long test.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,498
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    [QUOTE=Cross_AM]Malcolm wrote:
    >
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross_AM
    Malcolm wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> 190 is the ID, normally the raw value in the last column is the
    >> temperature. I would install hddtemp and use that, easier to read
    >>

    > Thank you. I will do it now. Meanwhile this is what I got from syslog.
    > <snip>
    > Hi
    > Have you run a full test on the drive with smartctl? If it is looking
    > suspect, I would make sure to backup and then replace the drive....
    >
    > Do you have good cooling in place for the drive?
    >
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross_AM
    Its a laptop. I find temperatures in the range of 58-60 after about 15
    minutes usage. Thats I doubt the fan.
    Hi
    Mine runs at about 35C in this notebook. Does your notebook have any
    sensors, you could try running sensors-detect (as root) and maybe it
    will pickup the fan speed.

    What model laptop?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 1 day 13:59, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.19
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  9. #9

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Its a laptop. I find temperatures in the range of 58-60 after about 15
    > minutes usage. Thats I doubt the fan. [/QUOTE]
    > Hi
    > Mine runs at about 35C in this notebook. Does your notebook have any
    > sensors, you could try running sensors-detect (as root) and maybe it
    > will pickup the fan speed.
    >
    > What model laptop?
    >


    First of all, thank you. I do not have any knowledge of configuration at this level. With your help, I have now got a stable HDD temperature.

    Here a snip of the sensors-detect:
    Some CPUs or memory controllers may also contain embedded sensors.
    Do you want to scan for them? (YES/no): YES
    AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
    Intel Core family thermal sensor... Success!
    (driver `coretemp')
    Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor... No

    Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
    Just press ENTER to continue:

    Driver `coretemp' (should be inserted):
    Detects correctly:
    * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

    I will now generate the commands needed to load the required modules.
    Just press ENTER to continue:

    To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
    /etc/modprobe.conf:

    #----cut here----
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
    #----cut here----

    To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:

    #----cut here----
    # Chip drivers
    modprobe coretemp
    # sleep 2 # optional
    /usr/bin/sensors -s # recommended
    #----cut here----

    If you have some drivers built into your kernel, the list above will
    contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really
    should try these commands right now to make sure everything is
    working properly. Monitoring programs won't work until the needed
    modules are loaded.

    Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): YES


    As per the instruction, i looked up the /etc/modprobe.conf file. I found the line to be already present. However, I do not know what to do with rc* file.

    My model is Compaq Presario v6409TU.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,498
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: HDD heats up fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Cross_AM
    Malcolm wrote:
    > Its a laptop. I find temperatures in the range of 58-60 after about 15
    > minutes usage. Thats I doubt the fan.

    > Hi
    > Mine runs at about 35C in this notebook. Does your notebook have any
    > sensors, you could try running sensors-detect (as root) and maybe it
    > will pickup the fan speed.
    >
    > What model laptop?
    >


    First of all, thank you. I do not have any knowledge of configuration
    at this level. With your help, I have now got a stable HDD temperature.

    Here a snip of the sensors-detect:
    Some CPUs or memory controllers may also contain embedded sensors.
    Do you want to scan for them? (YES/no): YES
    AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
    Intel Core family thermal sensor... Success!
    (driver `coretemp')
    Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor... No

    Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
    Just press ENTER to continue:

    Driver `coretemp' (should be inserted):
    Detects correctly:
    * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

    I will now generate the commands needed to load the required modules.
    Just press ENTER to continue:

    To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
    /etc/modprobe.conf:

    #----cut here----
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
    #----cut here----

    To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:

    #----cut here----
    # Chip drivers
    modprobe coretemp
    # sleep 2 # optional
    /usr/bin/sensors -s # recommended
    #----cut here----

    If you have some drivers built into your kernel, the list above will
    contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones! You really
    should try these commands right now to make sure everything is
    working properly. Monitoring programs won't work until the needed
    modules are loaded.

    Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): YES


    As per the instruction, i looked up the /etc/modprobe.conf file. I
    found the line to be already present. However, I do not know what to do
    with rc* file.

    My model is Compaq Presario v6409TU.
    [/QUOTE]
    Hi
    As a user you should be able to run the command;
    Code:
    sensors
    It should show some output, if not just start it and also check to
    ensure it's set to start on boot.
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/modprobe coretemp
    sudo /etc/init.d/lm_sensors start
    sudo /sbin/chkconfig lm_sensors on
    Then try the sensors command again.

    If you have the packman repository enable, install hddtemp;
    Code:
    sudo zypper in hddtemp
    To run that;
    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/hddtemp /dev/sda
    Note replace sda with your drive reference..

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 1 day 16:04, 1 user, load average: 0.36, 0.09, 0.08
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •