Goodbye KDE, hello Gnome

That’s it, I’m giving up on KDE. When I first started trying to make the leap from MSWin to Linux, I did a fair bit of research to figure out the right window manager for me. From most comments it sounded like KDE was full of so many features, so highly configurable, and so daggum powerful. Gnome by comparison was a bland, blase’, boring interface without any real “gotcha” features.

But after spending months hacking around in KDE4.0, then back to 3.5 for stability, then up to 4.1 to see if it’s any better…

I’m done. KDE basically works, but it seems that when you really want to start doing anything outside of the KDE universe then KDE no longer works so well.

Gnome has been a rock. Things work better, faster, and it’s a breeze to setup and configure. So… goodbye KDE. You’ve been displaced.

If you’re happy then I’m happy. :wink:

Thank you for sharing. :slight_smile:

Seriously, it doesn’t really matter. Use what you like. That’s the power of Linux.

Actually, kde3 is rock solid and uses slightly less system resources than gnome, kde4 less still.

But as ‘mooreted’ said: “Seriously, it doesn’t really matter. Use what you like. That’s the power of Linux.”

haha! I use to be up and down constantly between Gnome and Kde… Every 6 months or so i would change my mind… like… nah, Gnome is better, … nah, kde is better… nah, gnome is better… no way…Kde is better…

Here is what I think are the Real differences, good and bad.

Over the years I have discovered that gnome is rock solid, I rarely get ANY crashes or errors, All the multimedia buttons on my g15 keyboard work in gnome, gnome’s sound manager detected and correctly setup my usb microphone, its easy to use and is a dang brick!

In saying that… I dislike the lack of features/tweaks in gnome, I hate the Look/Interface… Even using themes doesn’t make gnome look very pleasing to me, I hate the default icons… the whole dang thing is ugly! but very useable/stable…

Kde 3.5x is very Stable, its packed with features/tweaks!
i like the default Look, very eye pleasing.

but on the odd occasion I’ll get a slight crash, in Any Kde Distro. But you click ok and it goes away, doesn’t affect anything, but yer… its rare…
Kmix in kde 3.5x doesn’t set my volume for my usb mic no matter what I do… I end up having to install gnome alsa mixer in kde…
My multimedia keyboard buttons don’t work without running a seperate program to deal with it…

I really like the way Kde 4.1x is headed. The Desktop Looks Fantastic! It is obviously not ready yet, and is missing alot… but I reckon by the time kde 4.3 comes out it will be Ready…

My keyboard/usb mic problems are solved in kde 4.1x
Its starting to get quite stable
I really respect the fact that Kde Had the balls to take their Vision of a Futuristic Desktop, and totally re write the Desktop from scratch to achieve their Vision… When it is fully stable, it will be awesome. I’m Much more in tune with What the Kde Developers are doing than the gnome developers… to me, Gnome works fine… but it is boring/ugly and old…
And Looks the same now as it did from the Very Start!
They believe more in adding small incremental updates/changes…
but its all good. I just Like Kde Better. It works just fine for me and is getting Better and Better with each Release of the new Futuristic Desktop Environment :slight_smile:

I like eyecandy and features… so kde is for me.
But gnome is still a very good d.e
kaddy
Thats about it really… for me anyways…

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 03:36 +0000, riddil wrote:

>
> Gnome has been a rock. Things work better, faster, and it’s a breeze to
> setup and configure. So… goodbye KDE. You’ve been displaced.
>
>

I guess I’m glad… but a bit confused. I usually associated the
words CAN’T, DON’T and WON’T when it comes to Gnome… but I’m a
pretty heavy user… I expect a LOT out of my DE. I’ll give
you faster… but so is fvwm2… and I’d argue I can make that
work better than Gnome (sadly). But… Gnome does have the
momentum right now… if it works for you that’s all that really
matters.

I use the Gnome desktop with some KDE3 apps and applets, plus devilspie and cairo dock.

It’s an unholy mix, but it delivers.

100% agree as long as it works

Fortunately for the developers many use what is often broken. :slight_smile:

I have conversed with several “old school” guys, and they will not even use a GUI, expecially those who administer major servers. As for me, I like being able to do things both ways, if I can not do it with GUI, I can most certainly do it CLI with a config file or a script or something similar. Like was said, the GUI is to just make it pretty, and let people who want to point and click get around. I have only been using Linux for a short while; so sometimes it takes a while to learn how to do it CLI, but smart veterans, much like several here in this forum, always know how to point people in the right direction.

I started out with KDE back with openSUSE 10.2. I can say that I really enjoyed KDE 3.5. I experimented with GNOME, and found it a good alternative, as well. Currently, I run with GNOME almost exclusively. As everyone else says, you have a choice. I have even run with Xfce and Fluxbox on a couple of machines. many times, your computer will decide what distro/DE it likes. I have had that happen a time or two, as well. As long as it is Linux underneath, I am pretty much content.

I have conversed with several “old school” guys, and they will not even
use a GUI, expecially those who administer major servers. As for me, I
like being able to do things both ways, if I can not do it with GUI, I
can most certainly do it CLI with a config file or a script or something
similar. Like was said, the GUI is to just make it pretty, and let
people who want to point and click get around. I have only been using
Linux for a short while; so sometimes it takes a while to learn how to
do it CLI, but smart veterans, much like several here in this forum,
always know how to point people in the right direction.

clayb226

clayb226’s Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16275
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=398967

I started out with KDE back with openSUSE 10.2. I can say that I really
enjoyed KDE 3.5. I experimented with GNOME, and found it a good
alternative, as well. Currently, I run with GNOME almost exclusively.
As everyone else says, you have a choice. I have even run with Xfce and
Fluxbox on a couple of machines. many times, your computer will decide
what distro/DE it likes. I have had that happen a time or two, as well.
As long as it is Linux underneath, I am pretty much content.

PC: MSI K9VGM-V (integrated VIA Chrome9 K8M890 graphics); AMD AM2
Sempron64 3000+ CPU; 2 GB of Kingston KVR667D2N5 RAM; 80 GB Seagate SATA
HDD
DE: GNOME

rivenought’s Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=303
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=398967