KDE 4.1 flipping out again

I’ve been trying to like KDE 4.1. It was finally working OK for a few weeks and today I went into desktop config and was going to check off sharping effect and the whole thing flipped out! double images, double taskbars, can’t do anything with them. How can you get it to work normally again?

I’m staying with Gnome until I can find a way to fix it or just wait until next year when KDE 4.2 comes out.

Any clues on getting KDE 4.1 to behave?

You could just start with a new .kde4 folder
rename the existing one .kde4old

when you start kde4 again it will be all new

Thanks, I did as you said and KDE 4.1 did come up again with default settings, but there were widgets on top of each other that had to be deleted and the taskbar was on top with no way to put it on the bottom. Also I has to add the system tray and it would paste itself in the middle of the bar with no move option.

KDE 4.1 is not ready for the general public. This is still a buggy dysfunctional window manager that needs more work. I will stay with Gnome or KDE 3.5.

Maybe next year They’ll get it right!

omg just because you jack with thing you think kde 4.1 has problems and isn’t ready for use
all the problems you just discribed can be fixed very easly
all you have to do is right click on the taskbar unlock widgets panel settings now you can move the items discribed by you around piece of cake

Thanks, I’ll give it another try. but why does it happen in the first place? Gnome doesn’t do that, neither does KDE 3.

How do you place the system tray icons on the right hand side? How do you take a taskbar that’s on top and put it on the bottom?

panel settings hover over the icons you want to move click and move them
as far as kde 3 and gnome are concerned there established DE kde 4 is being developed and added to all the time and really stable right now for everyday use
you can move the panel by panel settings click on screen edge and move the panel where you want it

I still can’t get the taskbar to move to the bottom. And when it’s up at the top and I open Firefox and then want to minimize it to the taskbar, it just disappears, with nothing to bring it back. It’s just not working as per your instruction. What am I missing?

Is there a way to get it back to the default set up?

have you updated kde 4 to the latest version if so it should be working the way i have explained it here is a taskbar i just added with the panel settings up
http://thumbnails8.imagebam.com/1749/55cf7017483427.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/55cf7017483427)
see that button that says screen edge you should have that and you press and hold it and drag it to the edge you want to move it to

What is the latest release. is there one newer than 4.1? Do I find it in Patterns in Yast?

i don’t see some of the buttons on my task bar. How do I install the newer version?

Why can’t you edit your posts in this forum?

do you still have your kde 4 repos added in yast? if so open yast goto package>All Packages>update if newer version is available

if not add these to your repo’s
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0
Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.0
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.0_KDE4_Factory_Desktop

what are the urls to add these repos? How else do you add them?

i just gave you the urls for the repos to add in the previous post
to add them open yast2 goto repositories then click add
specify url and copy and paste the urls in previous post then do the updates

OK they didn’t show up as urls in the post. I can copy and paste the that should bring up the url. thanks

OK I added them. Now how do I get them to update?

i figured it out. I have to right-click every entry that shows a new version. I’ll see how it works.

you could have open yast goto package>All Packages>update if newer version is available

Well I’m now able to put the taskbar on the bottom, but when I click on firefox it doesn’t open anything and it doesn’t create a button on the taskbar. So the taskbar is just a bar with nothing on it. How do you make it a usable interface?

open your start menu and drag firefox to the panel but make sure you have the panel unlocked
then to add the system tray and the start menu right click on panel add widgets there you can also add your menu launcher and whatever widget you wish

I added the system tray but it’s stuck in the middle of the taskbar and I can’t move it to the right. Firefox had an icon on the desktop but when it opens there is no minimized button on the taskbar so it just disappears. How do you fix this problem?