Thread: .xsession-errors getting very fat amazingly quick !

Samahell NNTP User

Default .xsession-errors getting very fat amazingly quick !

Hi!

My ~/.xsession-error file gets fat very quick when I'm logged, so that my 5GB /home disk is completely filled within about 20 minutes !!
    Of course my system quick becomes unusable and is slowed down even before the disk is full. Here is a preview of some of the thousands lines in this file :

Code:
    X Error: BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection) 14
      Extension:    157 (RENDER)
      Minor opcode: 4 (RenderCreatePicture)
      Resource id:  0x1822481
      Minor opcode: 4 (RenderCreatePicture)
      Resource id:  0x18225b4
    X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 182
      Minor opcode: 7 (RenderFreePicture)
      Resource id:  0x18225b4
      Major opcode: 53 (X_CreatePixmap)
      Resource id:  0x18225b5
    I'm running Opensuse 11.0 under KDE4. The only things I modified before that occurs was my theme colors (from default to Obsidian Coast) and some display options in Dolphin (terminal and arborescence display, files displayed in list form).

Does anyone know where it might come from and how I could fix this ?

Default Re: .xsession-errors getting very fat amazingly quick !

can you roll back the two changes that you did?

I dont think it is that file that makes your system slow, it must be some settings, probably related to the errors printed out there (which can be caused by a variety of causes, but since you know exactly how it started i think the simplest solution is just revert the changes)
    Also, how big, exactly, does that file get? It is a text file it is quite unlikely that it reaches GBs of space in 20 minutes, even with thousands of lines (not impossible though... try from console la .xsession-errors)
    ~ There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't. ~

Samahell NNTP User

Default Re: .xsession-errors getting very fat amazingly quick !

Actually the .xsession-errors file was getting more than 4GB big, maybe not within 20minutes but less than an hour, I'm positive about that.

Anyway I solved the problem by reverting the changes one by one, as you advised me, thank you ^^

I found that the bugging event was the Directory bar display ("Directory bar" is just my own translation for what is called "Barre Dossiers" on my french OpenSUSE version, maybe it's not called exactly like that in english version, anyway it is displayed using the F7 key) in Dolphin.
    If anyone else encounters the same problem, please post it here (or on a new post linked to this one), so we can find a way to make the Dolphin developpers aware of this bug.