Factory Repos? Plasmoids? KDE4?

Hi All

I’ve been using OpenSUSE for about 3 days, and had never seen KDE4 prior to that either. The majority of my Linux experience is with Gnome under Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.

So,please be gentle. :slight_smile:

I’ve been sifting through various posts the past couple of days getting my feet wet with OpenSUSE, and had gotten the impression that adding the KDE4 factory repo would be a good way to fix a few of the oddities/bugs of KDE4.1.

Based on that and another post, I added these two repositories:

Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0

Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0

Then, from within Yast, I did Package → All Packages → Update if newer version available.

That seemed to go well, and involved about 500MB worth of downloads.

So then I decided to add some plasmoids. Every plasmoid that I try to add using Yast reports that it requires kdebase4-runtime >= 4.1.3. Yet the highest version visible to me is 4.1.2-58.3.

So my conclusion is that I’ve done something wrong WRT adding the Factory repos, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, have I plunged into KDE4 far too early? Should I go with Gnome?

Thanks!

I forgot that the urls would get converted by the forum.

The repository URLs I added were:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0

4.1.3 isnt available yet but should be sometime next week thats whats up with the dependency errors
kde 4.1 is pretty stable i use it for everyday use

I believe that 4.1.3 will be hitting the repos very soon.

C.Durbin

check this thread
KDE4.1.3 Get ready for it - Next week - openSUSE Forums

Thanks for the responses.

A followup question –

Are dependency issues a recurring consequence of using the factory repositories? I can live with that if so, I just want to know whether to expect it so that I don’t wind up posting here about dependency problems on a periodic basis.

LOL OK it looks like I just timed it poorly!

converted schreef:

> So then I decided to add some plasmoids. Every plasmoid that I try to
> add using Yast reports that it requires kdebase4-runtime >= 4.1.3. Yet
> the highest version visible to me is 4.1.2-58.3.
>
> So my conclusion is that I’ve done something wrong WRT adding the
> Factory repos, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what.

Nothing.
I’ve read that KDE4.1.3 is to be released next week.
It often happens that packages are added to the repositories allready depending on the newer version of KDE just before such a release.

Don’t ask me why they do that, i don’t know.
All should be ‘fixed’ next week.

Chris Maaskant

not really a timing issue everybody that is running 4.1.2 is getting the errors:O

I just meant if I had started my journey with openSUSE a week later, I wouldn’t have been scratching my head over this, and would presumably have a clue by the time it happens again…

converted schreef:

> A followup question –
>
> Are dependency issues a recurring consequence of using the factory
> repositories?

I can only comment about the KDE4 repositories, i don’t know about the others.
Only when a new version of KDE4 is about to be released there are these packages released depending on the new version of KDE4 before the new version is released.

Makes me wonder what the point is of releasing packages depending on packages that are not available. :s

Chris Maaskant

According to Suse “news” the factory repos have moved up one step. Has anyone else noticed this and is it just for the beta of 11.1 or for 11.0 as well?

Index of /factory…]

The thing is KDE 4.1.3 was tagged at October 29th but will not be officaly released until November 5th.
Since the source code was already available it was submitted to the Build Service to build… but the publishing has been disabled to no release it before the official date. The problem is other repositories dependening on KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop are triggered for a rebuild… and their publishing isn’t disabled.

I don’t think anybody in charge noted the problem (I didn’t know about it until I saw this thread). I opened bug #440894 to make them know…

RedDwarf schreef:

> I don’t think anybody in charge noted the problem (I didn’t know about
> it until I saw this thread). I opened bug #440894 to make them know…

Great that you have the knowledge to see what the problem is and thanks for letting the people involved know about it!

Chris Maaskant