Thread: Question about updates and upgrades from .deb guy :)

Default Question about updates and upgrades from .deb guy :)

Hy everybody!

I've migrated from Mint(Ubuntu) and Debian few days ago and this is a whole new story for me. I like the way of delta rpm functionality. The thing I didn't like about Debian testing is too much updates, every day at least 10 or 15. The thing I didn't like about Mint is that I couldn't get new software if I didn't upgraded system . Upgrading the system to get a new Firefox or Gimp is not so interesting, it's coming with lot of bugs. So I was wondering.. do I need to upgrade my openSUSE 11.0 to 11.1 to get for example a new Firefox 3.1 or some other peace of software or I could get it somehow with build service or by importing openSUSE 11.1 repository into YAST ?

Default Re: Question about updates and upgrades from .deb guy :)

No need to upgrade the O.S. just to get the latest software, Just add the required repository & you're good to go. For example, add Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.0 to get the latest Firefox/sunbird/Seamonkey/Thunderbird

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

If there's something you want and you're not finding it in yast package search, it's good to check here:

Software.openSUSE.org

and

Webpin

If someone has packaged it in a repository other than the default ones, you can find out which from these, add them to yast, and install normally.

Thank you guys . One more question . Is pacman a rolling repository (Arch Linux) ?

Packman is a software repo for various openSuse versions, and Pacman is a software manager for a particular distro(s).
    <>---><^>

Me again.

So , I could easily import openSUSE 11.1 repository when it comes out by installing some software from the Software.openSUSE.org and
    Webpin with 1-click install?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Growlboy View Post
    So , I could easily import openSUSE 11.1 repository when it comes out by installing some software from the Software.openSUSE.org and
    Webpin with 1-click install?
    You could update from openSUSE-11.0 to 11.1 with a simple zypper command. But I don't recommend it. You could end up 1/2 the way thru the install, lose the connection, and then you are messed up. You are in no mans' land in terms of installed software and there is no guarantee your PC will boot satisfactory if you need to do a reboot. The risk is too high (for me).

The installation CD/DVD is also your rescue CD/DVD, and having a current rescue CD/DVD handy is always useful.

Plus, if you have lots of 3rd party rpms (ie not from OSS, Non-OSS, or update, but lots from Packman and other repos) you could run into a ton of dependency problems when doing such an update. It could be a mess and you could end up with a partial install. Not pleasant. Again, risk is way too high (for me).

IMHO the best thing to do is keep your openSUSE-11.0 / and /home on separate partitions. And then download and burn the 11.1 DVD when it is released in mid-Dec-2008, and then do a clean install reformatting and replacing the / and keeping the /home.

I saw it now. I could get fresh software for any version of openSUSE . For example, openbox-3.4.7.2-1.1.i586.rpm is available for openSUSE 11.0 and 10.3 and 10.2. That's not the case in Ubuntu I think.., and thats great with this green Linux , it makes it somekind of half-rolling distro.. So , I'll need to upgrade when openSUSE 13.0 comes out to check out the new design