Thread: Can I have both GNome and KDE as my desktop?

Talking Can I have both GNome and KDE as my desktop?

Hi,

I'm new to OpenSuse and like to try it out. Anyway when I go thought the screen shots I noticed that it provide only one option to select the desktop environment(either KDE or Gnome). But I'd rather keep both. Won't you get bored when stick into one desktop type??? So better to keep both. Can I do this OpenSuse 11.0?

Indika.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can I have both GNome and KDE as my desktop?

YES

Yast - Software - Software Management
    Filter by Patterns
    add

eg:
    kde3base
    kde3desktop

if you want kde 4
    report back for instructions
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

In future
    During install you can actually edit the install software.
    Once the install proposal is given - if you click on the Software section in the proposal list - it will open Yast so you add whatever you want. I always use it.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hi,
    you can surely have as many desktops as you wish. I actually have GNOME, KDE 3.5, KDE4 and XFCE at the same time. I use KDE 4.1 right now , but since I used use GNOME for few years I keep it on a computer just in case KDE 4 goes down (you never know, do you?)...

Quote Originally Posted by PETINKO View Post
    Hi,
    you can surely have as many desktops as you wish. I actually have GNOME, KDE 3.5, KDE4 and XFCE at the same time. I use KDE 4.1 right now , but since I used use GNOME for few years I keep it on a computer just in case KDE 4 goes down (you never know, do you?)...
    Great! Could you share how you've got them all?

It seems like it would be very nice to have a FAQ on having multiple desktops (Gnome, KDE 3, KDE 4, KDE 4.1) installed at the same time. In the past (with other distributions) I've had Gnome and KDE installed, but openSUSE 11 seems to downright encourage us to have multiple desktops (primarily because KDE 4 seems very nice yet unstable and thus encourages also having KDE 4.1).

All you need to do to install additional desktop enivronments is open Yast -> Software Mgmt. In the filter section select to filter by patterns and then just select desktop environment you need (base system and desktop environment too). Alternatively you can do the same when installing from DVD just in the installation overview at the beginning just select Software and choose details and then just do the same (select envirnoments you want). You can switch between them in the login screen -> Session and just select the one you want to work in. It will asks you if you want to set it as default environment or if you want to use it just for one session. Also I would like to point out that I don`t agree OpenSUSE is trying to push us into using KDE4, it actually doesn`t select any environment during install process you need to select one of them yourself. My opinion actually is that the user is quite free to choose any environment he/she likes and opensuse is one of the few major distributions to do so (also Fedora for instance), not like Mandriva or Ubuntu where you don`t have any choice (not talking about x/kubuntu which you need to install additionally from the repositories). I hope it helps, it`s definitely good to try more of the environments as everyone likes something else... I personally prefer kde4 now and don`t really like SUSE`s xfce (xubuntu is great) but if you ask me I guess the best start is GNOME.

Heck, see my post here:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark: Terminally Yours

for how to have GNOME & KDE running at the same time!

Yes, that`s a possibility to actually RUN them at the same time if somebody wants to do it for whatever reason. With CTRL+ALT+F7 / F8 you can also switch in Open SUSE if there are two users logged-in in graphical interface.