Did GPARTED kill my root partition?

Is it my imagination, or did GPARTED just install itself on my system when I chose the pre-selected DEFAULT option?

It seems to have wiped out some of my root partition, as my system no longer starts. Perhaps I shouldn’t have been so hasty, but nevertheless, I can’t imagine why they would set the DEFAULT option in such a potentially dangerous position.

Could this be the cause, or is it something I did wrong when creating a partition?

What did you do with Gparted deleting the first primary partition ?
If so in gparted is option to put the boot flag at on again
And be sure afterwards that it is still at on .
Reboot the system and check with gparted.
Do not ever delete the first primary partition .
dobby9

User-friendly partitioning software always ask the user IF they are sure to delete a partition. If you answered ‘yes’, your partition has been erased, tough luck! If you didn’t get such question, the partitioning program is a bad one or something other serious issue happened. Even the very unfriendly fdisk from the good old DOS days always asks you for being sure to erase a partition.

Thanks for the replies, but I think my post might not have been clear. I meant that GPARTED (might have) installed itself on my hard disk when I booted.

I probably should have hit the second menu option: Load to RAM (or something like that). But I went too fast and didn’t see it in time.

When you want to be clear, better tell everything you did and not jump in the middle supposing that all readers where onlookers when you tried to use Gparted.

Yeah, I should have written:

“Is it my imagination, or did GPARTED just install itself on my system when I chose the pre-selected DEFAULT option from GPARTED’s initial boot menu?”

What a difference a few words make, eh? :shame:

Why do you think gparted will do so ?
Can you run gparted from you’re HD ?
What did you still have on you’re HD
dobby9

There seems to be something in the docs about running from hard disk, but it needs a grub entry. I assume the Default option was to install GPARTED permanently. If so, then it’s strange that they’d pre-select it without any kind of warning.

I didn’t make a grub entry, and Linux started loading as usual, but then hung on something. I don’t remember what it was though. I reinstalled everything now, so I can no longer inspect it.