Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SouthWest part Netherlands
    Posts
    81

    Default Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Hello,
    I want to store my Konqueror bookmarks in a /data partition, sothat my other multiboot openSUSE installations can share / use the same bookmark files.

    For that I need to know where Konqueror store the location of the bookmarks, sothat i can setup the new location on the /data partition.

    I currently have already all my document, download, picture, music, film, kmail and kadressbook data in the /data partition, sothat all my multiboot openSUSE installations can use the same data.

    Thanks, Frans
    I

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,674
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Quote Originally Posted by fleerink
    Hello,
    I want to store my Konqueror bookmarks in a /data partition, sothat my
    other multiboot openSUSE installations can share / use the same bookmark
    files.

    For that I need to know where Konqueror store the location of the
    bookmarks, sothat i can setup the new location on the /data partition.

    I currently have already all my document, download, picture, music,
    film, kmail and kadressbook data in the /data partition, sothat all my
    multiboot openSUSE installations can use the same data.

    Thanks, Frans
    I
    Hi
    It should reside in the ~/.kde(?)/share/apps/konqueror directory, where
    (?) equals 3 or 4.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 1 day 10:21, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.16, 0.31
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SouthWest part Netherlands
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Hello Malcolm,

    Currently my bookmarks are in /home/frans/
    .kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

    but that is not my question. My question is how does konqueror knows that they are in above mentioned directory, because I want to instruct konqueror that the bookmarks are in
    /data/frans/.../...whatever after I have copied them to there.

    Thanks Frans

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,674
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Quote Originally Posted by fleerink
    Hello Malcolm,

    Currently my bookmarks are in /home/frans/
    kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

    but that is not my question. My question is how does konqueror knows
    that they are in above mentioned directory, because I want to instruct
    konqueror that the bookmarks are in
    /data/frans/.../...whatever after I have copied them to there.

    Thanks Frans
    Hi
    Create a softlink to the location in the kde directory pointing to the
    file you wish to use;
    Code:
    ln -s /path/to/original/file /path/to/destination
    I'm not sure but you may be able to add something to the
    ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc file.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 2:25, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.02
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,004

    Default Re: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Quote Originally Posted by fleerink View Post
    Hello Malcolm,

    Currently my bookmarks are in /home/frans/
    .kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

    but that is not my question. My question is how does konqueror knows that they are in above mentioned directory, because I want to instruct konqueror that the bookmarks are in
    /data/frans/.../...whatever after I have copied them to there.

    Thanks Frans
    Konquror knows because all user dependent KDE data is in the directory .kde in the home directory of that user.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SouthWest part Netherlands
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Hello Malcolm,

    I have tried the softlink and it worked correctly. Since I have not used softlinks before I had run into some problems and just want to mention them sothat others know these things beforehand.
    1 Copy the wanted konqueror directory, with most of your bookmarks from /home/user/.kde/share/apps to separate data partition under /data/user/.kde/share/apps
    2 rename the konqueror directory in /home/user/.kde/share/apps to
    konqueror-old That is needed to create the softlink in the /home/user/.kde/share/apps directory
    3 create the softlink in the /home/user/.kde/share/apps directory with the following command
    ln -s /data/user/.kde/share/apps/konqueror /home/user/.kde/share/apps/konqueror

    4 Repeate the steps 2 and 3 in the your other multiboot openSUSE installations, sothat they can share/use the same bookmark files out of the konqueror directory in your separate data partition under /data/user/.kde/share/apps

    Thanks Malcolm

    Regards, Frans

    PS I have not tried your other suggestion. How can I find out what to put in the ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc file.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,674
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where does Konqueror find the location of the bookmarks

    Quote Originally Posted by fleerink
    <snip>
    PS I have not tried your other suggestion. How can I find out what to
    put in the ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc file.
    Hi
    Had a quick google on "konquerorrc"+"options" and came up with this....
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hidde...es-53213.shtml

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 1 day 20:49, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.14, 0.15
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •