Thread: Problems with Kernel update 2.70.

Default Problems with Kernel update 2.70.

I upgraded to the newest Kernel 2.70 from 2.65. Now my ati drivers don't seem to be working right. Whenever I play a game or run something that requires 3d it either doesn't work or is deadly slow. I tried updating my ATI and Fgxl but it did not work. I haven't done a full driver reinstall yet but I will today or tomorrow. If all else fails, is it possible to go back to 2.65? Thanks again.

Default Re: Problems with Kernel update 2.70.

My advice is to go back to 2.65 and in the future only use the official opensuse kernels

Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

It came through in the update manager for the Kernel upgrade. It said it was a 2.7 security upgrade of some sort. Do you know what I should search for in yast to go back?

* StevenJ61,

Yast should list previous versions under the "Versions" tab of the kernel package.
    Please verify the version using "uname -r", I honestly doubt you have a 2.7 kernel.

Uwe

I think you are right. It isn't 2.70. It came across as a 2.70 security update but that is not the kernel version number. It seems to be some derivative of 2.62 of some sort. I'm going to go back a version or two to see if it fixes it or not.

Blog Entries

270 (not 2.70) is the patch id shown by the updater. I updated this morning and haven't had problems. However as you are using third-party video drivers, it's not surprising that you do. Whenever you update the kernel you should be prepared to re-setup any third-party drivers that are kernel version dependent.

I believe you might avoid such problems by using official ATI or Nvidia repos which are supposed to supply updated versions as kernels get updated (after a while perhaps). But I can't vouch for this as I don't have such video cards.

Ken your assumption was correct. I reinstalled the drivers from ATI's website and it works good now.