Thread: X-server shuts-down unexpectedly

Default X-server shuts-down unexpectedly

Hi,

I've got compiz-fusion and openSUSE 11.0 with proproprietary NVidia drivers running fine on my system, now and again usually i admit i am hacking around * the entire graphics system shuts-down and i get kicked-out to the login-prompt. When i log-in again every application i was running had clean disappeared out of the system.

What could be causing this? Is this something i need to worry about given my comments in "*"?

Constructive advice welcome,
    Pablo.

* i've got a problem (**) with a brilliant RSS Feed-reader program called Akregator - it doesn't start, until i do 'killall akregator' on the command-line. When i boot-up openSUSE 11.0 it appears to already be running as a process (i can confirm this with "ps -A") and i can even hear it getting new RSS Feeds (i've set it a custom sound effect for this event and i hear it go off on my speakers every minute or so) - but it's impossible to run it. The application-launch icon comes up for a while and then nothing, not a sausage. Now until i 'killall akregator' on the command-line, which is the only way i've made it load.

** i've posted on here about this and i still don't know what to do

Default Re: X-server shuts-down unexpectedly

How often does the X-server crash? I also use the proprietary nvidia driver, but do not use compiz as I never had a system where compiz failed to crash. The desktop effects available in KDE4 are enough for me and incorporate many of compiz features.

Default Re: X-server shuts-down unexpectedly

Hi there,

Sorry i later realised that this crash was only happening in certain circumstances, but the Forum SW didn't let me change it.

Here's more full info:-

Hi,

I've got compiz-fusion and openSUSE 11.0 with proproprietary NVidia drivers running fine on my system. I'm using Blender to render-out some still 3d scenes at the moment. If for some reason i'd closed down the Blender Render window and then attempt to open it from within Blender by doing a "Render to Window" or "Anim" command the whole X-server graphics system shuts down and i have to log-in again from openSUSE 11.0 login prompt.

The only way to avoid it seems to be to reboot my computer each time i start Blender. That way i am sure whenever i re-open my Render window the system won't crash.

Even if i close down Blender fully and then re-start it again, as soon as i do something that involves opening the render window the system crashes.

Apart from that i haven't had any problems with compiz-fusion, or the stability of the NVidia proprietary drivers. It's been generally marvellous in fact.

But this thing with the Blender render window brings it all crashing down.

Any constructive advice welcome,
    Pablo.