Thread: I/O errors ???

gholland4264 NNTP User

Default I/O errors ???

Hi! I'm new to linux and I'm running OpenSuse 10 on a test server. Recently received I/O errors when trying to access any application, Konsole,Storage Info, etc. The box is currently locked up so I'm just now playing in the troubleshooting stage......Thx

I'm looking to learn as I go, so please be gentle!

Default Re: I/O errors ???

sorry but did you use opensuse 10(?) 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 11 or 11.1 beta(there are 3 versions)

honestly i can not imagine such situation... it seems you normally start X server...

what exactly your I/O error write... and what you doing to run them...(mouse clicking, running from terminal?)
    intelGMA3100#amd|radeonHD4200+radeonHD5450@catalyst12.4
    WC5020B,PagePro1480MF,LBP2900,hpCP1510,PHOTO1290,Scanmaker3600,PerfectionV200

gholland4264 NNTP User

v 10.1 / K.D.E. 3.5.1

mouse clicking on terminal, Konsole, any app i try to access, I performed a hard shutdown and now it seems to be fine. but for the last 90 mins, it was frozen. I was in the process of trying to update the Dell PowerEdge 2950 server after issues from last week

Make sure you are running the latest BIOS updates for the Dell PowerEdge (there is a firmware CD that can be downloaded from the Dell site).

Keep an eye out for errors by walking through the output of ' dmesg ' (console command).
    The messages can also be found in the /var/log/messages

Is the server not displaying any errors (disk leds, status display)?

Could be that you are using a too old kernel that has outdated drivers for your Dell's Perc controller. But if you are referring to v10.1 = SLES 10 SP1 it should be ok. Have you applied all the latest updates for SUSE/SLES?

Cheers,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!