Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.0.3-22 Not Working

Default Firefox 3.0.3-22 Not Working

Hi,

I recently ran an update for all of my packages in YaST2. I got a newer version of Firefox. And it does not work anymore. The address bar is missing. And the menus do not respond to clicks. However, I can navigate links on my home page. Also, Firefox does not work when I run it in Safe Mode. I get the following output at the terminal when I run Firefox in Safe Mode:

michael@widgette:~> firefox -safe-mode
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins/libnu
    llplugin.so [libxpcom_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or d
    irectory]

(firefox:6244): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREE
    N (screen)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched:
    assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (
    object)' failed

(firefox:6244): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREE
    N (screen)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJ
    ECT (object)' failed

N (screen)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJ ECT (object)' failed

(firefox:6244): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREE N (screen)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJ ECT (object)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2180: invalid unclassed objec t pointer for value type `GdkScreen'

(firefox:6244): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREE N (screen)' failed

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2180: invalid unclassed objec t pointer for value type `GdkScreen'

(firefox:6244): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    michael@widgette:~>

I searched YaST2 for "libnullplugin" to see what provides it. It turns out that mozilla-xulrunner190 provides that library. I updated that library at the same time I updated Firefox.

I think there is some kind of incompatibility between Firefox 3 from the Build service and XUL Runner 1.9.0.

What should I do?

Thanks,
    Mike

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firefox 3.0.3-22 Not Working

You could try a re-name of the hidden .mozilla folder in your /home/*user/.

.mozillaOLD

if that clear the issue up, then it's down to extensions you have added.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Try the fix described here

Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

@caf4926

That did not work.

But I wiped the directory after reinstalling Firefox.

@geoffro

I did not try that. I could understand trying that if I was trying to get a plugin to work. But I did not want to do anything that dirty during an upgrade. I think something else was going on.

Anyway, I played around in YaST for a while and got things working. I uninstalled Firefox. I uninstalled XUL Runner. I installed the updated Firefox package (3.0.3-4.3). And I accepted the newer XUL Runner as a dependency. I also wiped out ~/.mozilla for good measure. And it works now.

Thanks,
    Mike

I am back. I had to restore my system from backup because an unrelated application broke on upgrade. Once I restored my backup and upgraded to the new kernel, I tried upgrading to the latest Firefox using the suggestions I put in my last post. However, I could not get Firefox working again.

I am going to restore from backup again to see if the copy of Firefox in my backup is broken or if I am having a problem with the package available through the Build Service.

Right now I am thinking that I will restore my backup and not upgrade anything including the kernel. I want to give the maintainers some time to sort things out.

Mike

The version of Firefox in my backup is broken too. I guess I upgraded it at some point and never ran it before I backed it up.

I also recorded another error message that I had forgotten about before now.

Code:
    XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Line Number 154, Column 7:

<button id="installFileButton" label="&cmd.installLocalFile.label;"
    ------^
    After restoring my backup, I only get that error the first time I launch Firefox.

Mike

Try downloading it from the Mozilla site to somewhere in your /home and running it from there
    Do not get the rpm just the tar file.
    Did this for a while when i was trying to get flash to work.

Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

OK. That works for now.

Thanks,
    Mike

Great at least you've got it working.
    Strange that it did not work after deleting your .mozilla folder

Geoff
    My wine tips & tricks

I have a feeling there is a version conflict between the GTK shared libraries the package was built against and the libraries on my system. On my system, the address bar and menus are broken in the packaged version of Firefox. But I can still click on links. So the browser code is OK. On the flip side, the address bar and menus work fine in the Mozilla binary. Maybe the binary version is statically linked.

I am still hoping the maintainers will sort things out. It is not like I am the only guy running 10.3 on x64. Maybe there is a bad link in the Mozilla project on the Build Service. I read in the Build Service introduction that packages are supposed to be linked to their dependencies so when the dependencies are rebuilt, a given package is also rebuilt against the new dependencies. Maybe this has not happened for the latest version of Firefox and thus the problem.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast