characters like blocks

I compiled EKIGA and after the try out I deleted the program
Now I don’t see characters anymore in the applications
filezilla and MySQL-administrator.
for every character I see a square block :’(
Does anybody know how to get the characters back??
Suse 10.3 KDE
Thanks

is it only in one user or in any users and root?

Root also gets blocks in those programs.
Maybe it has something to do with unicode characters.
If the OS doesn’t recognize them it displays small blocks?
Under MS Windows i also had it once when I installed a chinese printer driver.
How toget rid of it
Thanks

yes typically when some characters are not recognized they are displayed either with blocks or with weird accented letter (such as òàèùì)

It’s some weird and tricky problem in this case. It is most probably not a global setting that has been changed, otherwise you would see those characters everywhere, in any application.

I compiled ekiga on my previous suse installation (10.3), but did not screw up anything at all.
Did the weirdness of the characters start immediately when you installed it or only when you unistalled it (and how did you unistall it? through the UNISTALL file in the source?)

I would try three things, in the order:

1. unistall those two applications, and reinstall
  2. if this is not solving, rename any folder in your home that contains the settings of those applications, then restart the application (maybe they have some weird LANGUAGE settings)
  3. if again that did not solve, reinstall Ekiga through Yast (i believe it is on the mirrors). This might override some weird settings that the compilation of the program caused

Good luck, keep us posted!

I deleted the binary “ekiga” in /usr/bin
I installed the ekiga.rpm
I can’t find the configuration file for filezilla
firefox works great and it comes from the same club
Still my characters are blocked.
Do you know where the config file for filezilla is?
/etc didn’t give me a clue
Thanks Teunis:)

there will be something in your home dir as a hidden folder or file. It might be /home/USERNAME/.mozilla … or something else. From menu, choose the option “view hidden files” then you can do a search

Yes there is a .filezilla directory
I took a look at filezilla.xml and layout.xml with firefox.
In layout there is a language id “56”
Any hint where to look for?

close the program, rename that folder (any other name is fine) then restart the application. Another .filezilla folder will be automatically created and it will contain the default settings.
If the characters weirdness was due to a screwed up setting over there, it will be solved.
If it is solved, then you can inspect if that language id is different, and also you can copy back all the other configuration files and settings, so that you have your old configuration except for the screwed up setting(s)

No that did not work.
It should have something to do with not recognizing the characters
If .filezilla/layout.xml is used for the layout I see:
<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8” standalone=“yes” ?>
<FileZilla3>
<Layout Builddate=“2007-09-25” Buildtime=“22:45:51”>
<Resources>
<xrc file=“toolbar.xrc” date=“1190760460” />
<xrc file=“quickconnectbar.xrc” date=“1190760460” />
<xrc file=“dialogs.xrc” date=“1190760460” />
<xrc file=“netconfwizard.xrc” date=“1190760460” />
<xrc file=“menus.xrc” date=“1190760460” />
</Resources>
<Font font=“Sans Serif 10” width=“1080” height=“14” />
<Language id=“56” />
<Language id=“53” date=“1190760461” />
etc.
Maybe the font should be changed?
I also have the problem as root so I think the problem is
global

if i understand correctly from this thread, you did NOT try uninstalling Filezilla, correct?
I would try that. This way the folder in which it is installed would go deleted…normally… If you want to make sure, search while it is still installed for filezilla, normally it would be in /opt/kde3/share/apps if you are a kde user, or somewhere in opt or usr. Do a system-wide search if you cannot find it.
Once you unistall make sure that folder is gone, if still there rename it (do not delete, so that if things get sorted you can compare and find out what setting got screwed up and next time it happens you dont need to do all this). You could also back it up before uninstalling.
Also if you find out what setting caused this, you can solve also for the other app without uninstalling it.

So uninstall, delete any remaining folder and reinstall. It MUST work because originally it was working and there has not been any system-wide screw up

My impression is that there is a system wide screwed up
1] All users are affected
2] It only occurs in program like gimp, filezilla, ekiga and
mysql-administrator
3] Those program all share the property that they are compiled for the gnome desktop.
As I can’t repair the situation I have to reinstall Linux on my computer. This time I will take Ubuntu because it is more mainstream
Teunis:(

why dont you try renaming the .kde folder (and/or .kde4) and if this does not work then rename also .gnome.
That would just take 20 seconds, the time of a X restart, if you are going to reinstall, dont you think it is worth a shot in resetting all the kde and gnome settings? Worst case it won’t work (which i doubt) but at least you tried