Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get this effect?

Default How to get this effect?

YouTube - Compiz-Quinn(now Compiz-Fusion)for linux. The future is now!

I searched the Internet and found this effect. Is it something what is Compiz-Quinn? How can I get this effect? What softwares does my system need? Where could I download? The performance is so great. So I want it. Please help me. Thank you.

Default Re: How to get this effect?

I think thats just Compiz-Fusion with some settings turned sky high in the wobble windows section. You be surprised at what you can make happen by adjusting two or three settings.

Sorry for the double post:

There is a nice one click install for Compiz-Fusion (don't always trust these they are evil) if you have your video drivers in check.

Click Here

If you're using 11 it's installed by default, you only have to go to Menu > Apps > Utils > Desktop > Desktop Effects and enable them.

To modify many options you can see there too the Compiz Config Manager
    It is abhorrent the spiritual greed of those that knowing something, do not seek the transfer of such knowledge.

Miguel de Unamuno - Writer (1864-1936)

OT, yet I'd like to know: what exactly is "evil" about one-click-installs? Is that referring to how easy / ".exe-like" it is? I prefer using zypper or YaST, yet I never quite found out why everybody warns about the one-clickers.

Compiz-Quinn was way back even before Beryl, later Compiz & Beryl merged into: Compiz-fusion.

That must be 3 years old or even more...
    OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 / KDE 5.8 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GBRam | 120 + 80GB SSD's | Benq 27" | DVD | PhilipsToUcam 740 | HPpsc2355p | Logitech KB & mouse | 320 +160 + 80 + 80 GB USB HDD's | Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7360 | (V)DSL 12 MB/s | SuSE since 2001

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

gropiuskalle schreef:

>
    > OT, yet I'd like to know: what exactly is "evil" about
    > one-click-installs? Is that referring to how easy / ".exe-like" it is? I
    > prefer using zypper or YaST, yet I never quite found out why everybody
    > warns about the one-clickers.
    >

Well one thing i don't like about it that it enables the repository from which you wish to enable the package from, and leaves it enabled by default.
    You can turn this of.

Say some newbie wants to install a newer version of gimp, he/she clicks on the one-click button and gimp gets installed as promised with the repo enabled.
    Now there is a little warning in the yast window that says "use at youre own risk" but it doesn't say that the 'unsuported' repo contains a lot of other stuff that is also not supported which could trash your system next time you run "zypper dup".
    --
    Chris Maaskant

Couldn't we make a request switching off that default-enabling of repositories? Because your concerns make sense - though I wonder why I in forums always read a general warning instead of the warning to leave a repository enabled after the install. Seemed to me that the process of installing itself would not be reliable.

Anyway, gets OT, sorry.

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

gropiuskalle schreef:

> Couldn't we make a request switching off that default-enabling of
    > repositories?

Sure why not?

But i wouldn't use it anyway.
    Even if the repo is disabled, you would have to look for updates youre self.
    Most repo's are OK.
    It are mostly the /home: repos i'm worried about.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

Last OT: I think I will do that. I will also request changing the default that during the installation the user-password is the same as the root-password - that in my opinion is a security-hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast