Thread: Firewall

Default Firewall

How can I know which programs I am running?

If I start Firewall in YaST it says that it cannot running SuSEfirewall2 because it is running another kind of firewall.

Default Re: Firewall

System>Monitor>Performance monitor in the slab should show you a list of running processes with their numbers.

Thanks,
    its very simple. But how can I know something about processes?
    In TaskManager (Windows) was a simple notification about each process - is this unusual/unpossible on openSUSE? Or should I search on internet for describing of processes if I wish to know something?

nobody NNTP User

Andrej novell wrote:
    > Thanks,
    > its very simple. But how can I know something about processes?
    > In TaskManager (Windows) was a simple notification about each process -
    > is this unusual/unpossible on openSUSE? Or should I search on internet
    > for describing of processes if I wish to know something?
    >
    >

I have absolutely NO idea what TaskManager (Windows) tells you, so I do not know
    what you want to see...can you describe what you need to know about the processes?

Is the name, process number, amount of memory in use, who started it, and OTHER
    stuff enough??

If so, open a terminal/console, type 'top' and enter. Then, to quit type 'q'.
    For more information on top, type 'man top'.

If that is not enough you need to either describe what you want to see OR wait
    for a Window$ user to come along and help..

And, if top is too much, try 'ps -eF' or 'man ps' to learn more options there.

sorry I can't find an exact replacement for something I've never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrej_novell View Post
    How can I know which programs I am running?

If I start Firewall in YaST it says that it cannot running SuSEfirewall2 because it is running another kind of firewall.
    This is EXACTLY what I wish to know.
    Which another firewall I am running?
    I am newbie and I cannot guess from the process names which is the mentioned another firewall - or if it is only a stupid error.

Explanation: I am a really, really a newbie.
    I upgraded a PC with 10.3 used before as a firewall to 11.0 for office using, because we dont need it anymore. On all other PCs we use windows, but I wish to use linux and this was a good reason - to leave the old system alive and show the possibilities of linux - but I wish to know above mentioned (it was not installed from us).

And thanks top is like (taskmanager in windows).
    I meant (services) - it shows a notice about processes - describing the processes - like if you use YaST and you see summary.

ex-third.party.software.expert NNTP User

Andrej novell wrote:
    > And thanks top is like (taskmanager in windows).
    > I meant (services) - it shows a notice about processes - describing the
    > processes - like if you use YaST and you see summary.

Go to YaST > System > System Services (Runlevel) where I can see that mine has
    enabled SuSEFirewall2_init and SuSEFirewall2_setup for runlevels 3 and 5

I see no other firewall available but not enabled.

Ah, you say in one post you "upgraded a PC with 10.3 used before as a firewall
    to 11.0". If you *upgraded* then the 11.0 install/upgrade script probably left
    completely intact whatever firewall was in place on the 10.3 based machine.

So, I have no idea how to remove it. Is/was it a third party firewall
    application, or what?

Yes, exactly. I see the description of processes (before I havent see it - maybe I installed later needed library) and I will search for it.

Thanks. It is only a "design" question - to this time. Now I must connect it to net through wifi (newbie problem - openSUSE Forums).
    I successfully installed ALSA (beside LiveCD cannot recognise any device), but WiFi is too hard for me (I hope not, because another way I must convert to windows).