Help system doesn't work properly

Hello, newbie here, I’ve installed Opensuse 11.0 and it’s working great and I have finally settled on the Gnome desktop.

Except…
Somewhere along the line I think I have messed up the help system. The Yelp system works ok but whenever I click on the help button in an application such as Nautilus it opens a browser and tries to go to to
http://www.susehelp.com/index.html.en” which it can’t find…I don’t remember messing around with any settings that would affect the help system but…

Hi.
Don’t fret: it’s not an error, it’s a feature, as my olden OS would say. Linux programmers typically loathe writing documentation, that’s why the vast majority of linux software comes with no manuals or help system at all. The dead links you’re seeing in your help system are just “placeholders” for some future help files that might become available some day (it never happens, though: the software becomes obsolete and replaced by other software much sooner than that). The right method for obtaining help in linux are forums and other Internet sources: so by dropping by the SuSE forums you did the exactly right thing.
Thumbs up!:wink:

Thanks for the reply, JosipBroz
I don’t think this is working as intended, I remember with previous versions (opensuse 10.X) that I used on a reeeel slow computer I searched for a solution and found on a forum (Of course, now I can’t remember where the instructions were) instructions to change a .conf that redirected the help system to a web page address. It appears that I typed in a bad URL somewhere in a config file but I didn’t document the change and it seems to have carried over into the upgraded (not a clean insteall) 11.0.

I have it installed with a new motherboard and CPU now and the performance is acceptable and I would like to click on the help button or use F1 for context sensitive help from the installed documentation.

I do realize that some apps direct help to a web page on the internet but these are core applications that I’m talking about…

If that’s true I’d like to know the trick too; so if you ever manage to solve this, please post back, OK?:slight_smile: