Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.1 general questions

Question KDE 4.1 general questions

Ok here goes. OpenSuse 11, successfully installed. KDE 4.1, Successfully upgraded to.

Heres the questions (I have been using openSuSe 10.3 since it came out and 10.2 prior). I need to know why I cannot or how I can run programs with root privileges (previous it was a right click then place in run line...) I need this to be able to run certain security programs with full privileges. I also would like to know about configuring other things like making my taskbar fully transparent as I cannot find this option anymore. And lastly I would like the option for separate wallpapers on all my desktops, the check box is gone from my desktop pager config.

phew, thats allot, k now for the answers......

Default Re: KDE 4.1 general questions

I've been using Kde 4.1 for a day now, so I'm not exactly an expert yet! However from my brief experience I have concluded that things are sometimes done a little different and certainly not everything is the same. But I'm enjoying exploring and overall I'm really loving it (I am a kde 3.5 fan).

Also it's nowhere near as buggy as when I tried it in the past.

As for running apps with root priveliges, try typing "kdesu App name" in command line.

Easy way is allt+F2 enter kdesu followed by the program you want to run

Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

ok well that takes care (kinda) of one of my questions, but now theres the others that are yet to be answered... who will respond, we shall wait and see....

Blog Entries

Transparency is limited. I use slim-glow for my panel.

You can't yet have different pictures for the individual desktops
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Unhappy Re: KDE 4.1 general questions

ok heres another one to go with all the people taht suggested run command, what If you don't know the names of the applications that you want to run! for example the nvidia control panel requires admin rights to setup a second monitor, yet I don't know the right command to run! This sucks they took away the ease of right click run with different priority option....

Blog Entries

what If you don't know the names of the applications that you want to run!
    So how do you know you want to run it - if you don't know what it is?

You mention nVidia as an example. But don't you have a start menu item for that?

You can manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

and there is a help page here for nVidia
    NVIDIA - openSUSE
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by titanicx View Post
    ok heres another one to go with all the people taht suggested run command, what If you don't know the names of the applications that you want to run! for example the nvidia control panel requires admin rights to setup a second monitor, yet I don't know the right command to run! This sucks they took away the ease of right click run with different priority option....
    You can research via google about it or you can ask in the forum. It's not a big deal
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

I do have a start menu icon for it, however it only opens under user rights and I need to configure my second monitor which requries write rights to the config file, in 10.3 wazs no big deal, right click, run with different priority, root login, bam you have an app running under root privilages, however no such ease in this update.. I hate it when we go two steps forward then slide one step back in Linux. I love Linux (Hey even my license plate says Linux!) but when ease and quickness of use is interrupted thats bad and makes me very sad cause then it takes days to do what took seconds previously....

The way I take care of that, and also how I configure my mouse.. which seems to have similar 'need root rights' issues is by simply logging off, and logging in as root.. performing the actions there.

I'm sure that someone will reply to this as something you shouldn't do.. but hey at least it gets the monitor to the proper resolution for me. (and the mouse to the proper dpi )

I've also found this KDE4 menu run as root thingy, I haven't tried it myself. But you might want to.
    Special effects <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
    More KDE -> PINK KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast