Thread: Cant Configure Wireless....

KD1210 NNTP User

Default Cant Configure Wireless....

Hi...
    I've just installed OpenSUSe 11 that's multi-booted with Vista home Premium.
    I'm a complete newbie to Linux n looking forward to use Linux for daily use...
    but somehomw i'm unable to connect the wifi network of my college. when i switch on the wifi switch of my laptop, it doen't even detect the wireless network.
    i followed few steps that i found from this forum but none proved helpful in my case...
    the output of dmesg | grep b43 is something like this:

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found
    input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input11
    b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
    b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to b43 - Linux Wireless and download the latest firmware (version 4).
    input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input12
    b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to b43 - Linux Wireless and download the latest firmware (version 4).
    input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input13
    input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input14

Default Re: Cant Configure Wireless....

You must go to b43 - Linux Wireless and download the latest firmware (version 4).
    This is the clue you need the latest b43 firmware.Either follow Larry's instructions in the stickies or do it manually by going to the site & following their instructions. Personally i'd follow Larry's,much easier

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

KD1210 NNTP User

Hey thanks but can u pls tell me what command i've to type in Terminal??? it might b weird but as i m a complete newbie, i'm totally ignorant of how this stuffs work.......

Please read,all the info you require is here,
    if you have a broadcom chip-set, & a wired connection, this command, in a console, may help
    Code:

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

To install the BCM43xx firmware if you do not have a connection in Linux, do the following:

Using any method that you have to access the Internet, download this
    http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...0.10.5.tar.bz2

Then copy it into your home directory. Once you have it there, you should enter the following:

tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware
    sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware \ broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o

These three commands will skip the download step and extract the firmware in the same way that the /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware does.

Note: If the output of 'lspci -v' indicates that you have a BCM4310, BCM4328 or BCM4329, this procedure will not work. For those cases, you will need the Windows driver and ndiswrapper.

For those devices that support 802.11a/b/g, 802.11a operation is not yet supported.
    compliments of LarryFinger
    Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994