Thread: Trying to Burn Data DVD from Command Line

Default Trying to Burn Data DVD from Command Line

I'm on openSUSE 10.3 kde3.5 and I use k3b to burn cds and dvds with no problems. So I should be happy with that and I am. But I've been doing some research on burning cd/dvd from the cli. I think I've on the right track with cds. I've looked into cdrecord and I think I understand the basics of burning a data and audio cd. But I'm stumped when it comes to burning a data dvd. Could someone give me a tip or help me out. All I really want to do is burn either mp3s, movie clips, or jpgs onto a dvd. I'm still pretty new at using the terminal, so don't think I'm asking stupid questions.
    I tried a couple of times to burn a dvd with cdrecord but got error messages that media wasn't right size. I had a blank dvd in the writer. I probably should do more research, but I've kind of hit the wall, and I thought someone here might be able to help. I'm just basically looking for the commands which would allow me to burn a data dvd from the command line.
    And to be clear k3b works fine for burning cd and dvd. I'm trying to become more adept at the keyboard....

Default Re: Trying to Burn Data DVD from Command Line

i am do so copy some files that i want to burn in some folder for burn (for example ~/dvd/)... it should be not greater then 4.3GB for my 4.7GB media...
    than i make image for now in oS 10.3 and 11 mkisofs that is same as
    genisoimage... it is link to gensioimage

so i do

~>genisoimage -o ~/myimage.iso ~/dvd/

so myimage.iso is created in my $HOME directory

~>growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=~/myimage.iso;

for more options you could look at man

man genisoimage
    man growisofs
    intelGMA3100#amd|radeonHD4200+radeonHD5450@catalyst12.4
    WC5020B,PagePro1480MF,LBP2900,hpCP1510,PHOTO1290,Scanmaker3600,PerfectionV200

Have you thought of saving the K3b reports after a job? If my memory serves me, they include all the commands K3b has used.

Hi,

I recommend at least these options for good compatibility and good flexibility (if you are worried about that):

genisofs -pad -r -udf -joliet-long -iso-level 4 -V VOLUME_LABEL -o OUTPUT_ISO SOURCE_DIR

-udf: this is the most common DVD filesystem - use it. it allows for files > 2GB.
    -iso-level 4: allows for unrestricted ISO9660 filesystem. this is the basic optical disc filesystem. level 4 lets you have long filenames.
    -r: rockridge extensions. important for unixy systems.
    -joliet-long: Joliet extensions. important for windowsy systems (pre-XP, i think)

g

Thanks for your replies ... :-)
    I tried this:
    ~>genisoimage -o ~/myimage.iso ~/dvd/

so myimage.iso is created in my $HOME directory

~>growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=~/myimage.iso;
    But I got an error message that image was read only. I tried both as regular user and root. ??