Thread: I need help with VNC

Default I need help with VNC

OK, I have SUSE 11.0 installed on a machine that I use for a file server. I just installed TightVNC server on it so I can connect by another PC. I need the full desktop. I have a Windows XP machine that needs to connect to it. I downloaded TightVNC 1.3.9 to the Windows machine and launched setup. I only installed only VNC viewer, I don't want the Windows machine to be a server too. First of all, is this part correct? Only need the viewer?

Now, I didn't enable remote desktop in SUSE 11.0, do I need to? How do I start VNC server on my SUSE 11.0 server now that it is installed? I also disabled the firewall in the server for now, I need to figure out what ports need to be opened in the firewall for TightVNC server to operate correctly. I think I read somewhere 5901, but now I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    SirShaggy
    Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EkRS2H 590SLI board, AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ EE CPU w/ Scythe Ninja 120mm heatsink, 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D (2 sets), XFX 7900GS XXX card, Promise TX2 133 IDE controller card w/ 4 WD 320GB IDE drives and 4 WD 640GB SATA Drives.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I need help with VNC

There is a how to here
    VNC HOWTO - openSUSE
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

OK, I looked through the link and it is very helpful. I have issues with following it though. When I get to this point, I am not sure what to use:

" * Add a new line right below it, and pick a window manager. Let's say you have FluxBox – I would pick something lightweight, so maybe install FluxBox if you don't already have it ( fluxbox.org - old site ). It is necessary to install the following dependencies:

yast -i gcc gcc-c++ libstdc

* If you want to enable Gnome or KDE desktop, you'll have to compile Fluxbox with the extra option:

./compile --enable-kde

or

./compile --enable-gnome

* then put on this line underneath that one with "#twm&" :

exec fluxbox

* Save that file, then go back out and now run the server again:

vncserver :1"

I do not want to install or use fluxbox, just KDE. So do I just type KDE on the first line under where it says pick a window manager?

I really don't understand this sentance either: then put on this line underneath that one with "#twm&" :

exec fluxbox

I guess I need to see what someones file actually looks like. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EkRS2H 590SLI board, AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ EE CPU w/ Scythe Ninja 120mm heatsink, 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D (2 sets), XFX 7900GS XXX card, Promise TX2 133 IDE controller card w/ 4 WD 320GB IDE drives and 4 WD 640GB SATA Drives.

Blog Entries

I don't really know the answer.

But I can tell you:

I really don't understand this sentance either: then put on this line underneath that one with "#twm&" :

exec fluxbox
    You need to navigate to your hidden /home/username/.vnc
    and edit the file: xstartup
    right click it - open with kwrite

it should look something like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #twm &
    exec fluxbox
    *fluxbox could be replaced with another suitable WM
    But that's as much as I can say. I don't actually use VNC.

This bit:
    * If you want to enable Gnome or KDE desktop, you'll have to compile Fluxbox with the extra option:

./compile --enable-kde
    Basically. If you did install and compile fluxbox you use the --enable-kde argument to the ./compile

so it would be
    ./compile --enable-kde
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Sorry it took overnight to respond. I fell asleep. Anyway, I get the just of it now with your help. I just need to figure out exactly what to write when using KDS only. Thanks very much for your help!!

SirShaggy

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm at the same point i can VNC (using TightVNC) to my SUSE 11 box (running vncserver). However, I just get a XDesktop session and no KDE.

If I then type startkde into the XDesktop it tries to start KDE but hangs on the "openSUSE" green screen. Anyone any ideas?