Thread: VMware Server 2

Default VMware Server 2

I was looking to update to VMware Server 2 for my 11.1 Beta install & found a 64-bit version rpm; see: https://www.vmware.com/freedownload/login.php

You have to login or setup an account; but it's free

Now to see if it works
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 B & Leap 43.2; and, Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15 & T-weed

Default Re: VMware Server 2

Quote Originally Posted by snakedriver View Post
    Now to see if it works
    jim@linux-wxyz:~> su
    Password:
    linux-6ecz:/home/jim # rpm -ihv /home/jim/VMware-server-2.0.0-116503.i386.rpm
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

This VMware Server is built for the i386 architecture and is incompatible
    with your platform's x86_64 architecture. This version of 'VMware Server'
    won't be installed.

error: %pre(VMware-server-2.0.0-116503.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping VMware-server-2.0.0-116503
    linux-6ecz:/home/jim # rpm -ihv /home/jim/VMware-server-2.0.0-116503.x86_64.rpm
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1:VMware-server ########################################### [100%]

The installation of VMware Server 2.0.0 for Linux completed successfully.
    You can decide to remove this software from your system at any time by
    invoking the following command: "rpm -e VMware-server".

Before running VMware Server for the first time, you need to
    configure it for your running kernel by invoking the
    following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl".

Enjoy,

--the VMware team
    Desktop Asus X-99 Viper. uefi & secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15.1 B & Leap 43.2; and, Laptop: ASUS GL752VW Optimus, uefi+Secure Boot, Win10, Leap 15 & T-weed

This has been a real interesting afternoon. The Vmware Server docs say that the setup is intuitive -- not for me, lots of reading to be done.

When you do "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl", you have only just begun

Let me help you along:

When you type "vmware" in a terminal, you are most likely going to get a browser open with https://127.0.0.1:8333/ui/# as an address and a blank page.

I copied that to Firefox & Firefox told me of a missing certificate, which I went through the process and loaded it.

Next, you have to login; I could only login as openSUSE "root"; once in, I added my username.

In Firefox, I found that there was a VMware "help" tab; open that in a new "tab". It's all there, but, you have to get to it.

I had no problem setting up my new VM, Note that there is a tab "console", you will need to install a "plugin" to continue -- just click on it & then click on get the plugin.

Once you have the VM installed and console plugin, you can insert the guest OS and "power on".

Remember the help tab

Have fun...

itsayellow NNTP User

I've been trying to get vmware server 2.0 to work with opensuse 10.2. I can get to the login screen in the web browser, but every time I try to enter 'root' and my system root password it says "Login failed due to a bad username or password." Any ideas?

thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by itsayellow View Post
    I've been trying to get vmware server 2.0 to work with opensuse 10.2. I can get to the login screen in the web browser, but every time I try to enter 'root' and my system root password it says "Login failed due to a bad username or password." Any ideas?

thanks,
    Matt
    I really don't know enough to be giving out instructions with this new stuff

Try turning off the firewall & see if you can login.

When you did "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl", it IDed some ports like 9xx, 8xxx (on mine there were two of those 8xxx ones) -- I opened all those in the firewall in both TDP & UDP.

I have a good install of winxp; but my network is slower than the seven year itch -- my only problem so far.

Good luck...

HansHenrik NNTP User

Unhappy Re: VMware Server 2

Im trying the same at Matt/itsayellow on Suse 10.2 with VMWare server 2.0.0-116503

I'm getting the same problem with the web UI refusing to validate
    either root, or any other user.

I attempted to create a 'vmware' user and configure vmware to
    run at that, and login as that, but no joy.

I also attempted to configure vmware to run as root, but no joy.

I also tries restarting xinetd and vmware before trying.

I have searched the web for solutions, but nothing seem to remedy the situation, even google translating stuff in a dozen languages.

Seems like the web UI refuses to validate the user/pwd no matter what.

Any hint would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by HansHenrik View Post
    Any hint would be appreciated
    Have you added yourself (username) to the Vbox usergroup?

Yast > Security & Users > User & Group Mngt > Highlight your name > Edit > Details tab > Then in the window on the right, tick "vboxuxers" > save out of all that.

That has to be done in the earlier versions...

itsayellow NNTP User

Thanks for the tips, snakedriver, but opening all the ports in my firewall doesn't help.

And I think vboxusers is for another product? Or am I wrong?

thanks again, I may go complain on the vmware website
    Matt

itsayellow NNTP User

I found the answer!
    VMware Communities: Cannot Login after install - OpenSUSE ...

I changed the text in the file etc/pam.d/vmware-authd from pam_unix.so to pam_unix2.so, and rebooted my machine. Then I could login as root!

hope this helps,
    Matt