Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No need for CAD/CAM on Linux ?

Question No need for CAD/CAM on Linux ?

Just curious: Although I'm using SuSE/openSUSE since 6.1, I'm still waiting for a competitive 'Open Source' CAD/CAM program for mechanical design to appear. Most CAD programs that can be found i.e. on LUnIx Linux CAD Links, are either nice but too simple for professional use (like i.e. QCAD) or not maintained any more.

FreeCAD, based on Open CASCADE, Qt4 and Python looks quite promising, but Installation is difficult due to the lack of a RPM. People who are familiary with CAD/CAM software are not necessarily good packagers or admins...

Am I the only one who need such software, or is it a really a niche application in the Linux world ?

Opinions ? Thoughts ?

Default Re: No need for CAD/CAM on Linux ?

Possibly this?

http://www.linuxcad.com/

maybe check this one out i've tried seems pretty in depth
    and is free for personal use and installs pretty easy
    CYCAS CAD 2D + 3D + ARCHITECTURE

Unhappy Re: No need for CAD/CAM on Linux ?

Linuxcad had very bad reviews, up to 2004 it seemed to be little more than a ripoff. For about 9 years the only screenshot (in it's very unbecoming site) was the old space shuttle wireframe drawing that came as a sample in AutoCAD 10/11, in a very poor interface. Google 'linuxcad review' and you'll see for youself.

CYCAS is for architectural work only. In this area there is a number of very professional (and expensive) CAD programs for linux.

I've been looking for an AutoCAD replacement for years, without luck. The most promising was Bricscad, but development seems to have stopped at version 6 (current windows version is 9). I was never able to make it run under openSUSE. I didn't even got an answer to my e-mails concerning it's use/development in linux.

So currently I think the only practical way is to run your preferred cad program in a windows vm. This is especially unsatisfactory now that 3D acceleration is becoming common even in 2D drafting.

//forums.opensuse.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

Just my view on it. Reality may differ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Fo View Post
    Just curious: Although I'm using SuSE/openSUSE since 6.1, I'm still waiting for a competitive 'Open Source' CAD/CAM program for mechanical design to appear. Most CAD programs that can be found i.e. on LUnIx Linux CAD Links, are either nice but too simple for professional use (like i.e. QCAD) or not maintained any more.

FreeCAD, based on Open CASCADE, Qt4 and Python looks quite promising, but Installation is difficult due to the lack of a RPM. People who are familiary with CAD/CAM software are not necessarily good packagers or admins...

Am I the only one who need such software, or is it a really a niche application in the Linux world ?

Opinions ? Thoughts ?

i agree,i work with cad softwares everyday...after linux switch i had a lot of problems and the only way i could fine was WINE.

i tried 3 linux cads found in linuxcad.com but they weren't good for me,i don't know what you need exactly,now i run autodesk inventor,solid edge,autocad , pro-e and other two softwares with WINE and i could solve almost all bugs.

i think that if you need something of specifical for job the only way is Wine,i haven't still known anyone that is working for big projects with a specifical cad for linux.

simone

People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by m1192ds View Post
    now i run autodesk inventor,solid edge,autocad , pro-e and other two softwares with WINE and i could solve almost all bugs.
    What version of AutoCAD do you run with wine? I found that any version above 2000 wouldn't even start, and AutoCAD 2000 would crash frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    i've installed it from packman but i can't figure out how to start it for the life of me

brunomcl wrote:
    > m1192ds;1879850 Wrote:
    >> now i run autodesk inventor,solid edge,autocad , pro-e and other two
    >> softwares with WINE and i could solve almost all bugs.

>
    > What version of AutoCAD do you run with wine? I found that any version
    > above 2000 wouldn't even start, and AutoCAD 2000 would crash frequently.
    >
    >

Not sure on AutoCAD... but you could use
    http://www.bricscad.com/en_INTL/

I've used it in the past when they we're beta'ing under
    Linux. Handled every autocad file I through at it.

Cool Re: No need for CAD/CAM on Linux ?

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    i've installed it from packman but i can't figure out how to start it for the life of me
    openCASCADE is a SDK (software development kit), not a CAD/CAM itself.

I guess that somebody is working on a RPM that is linking to openCASCADE, possibly freeCAD ?

All other dependencies used by freeCAD appeared on PackMan lately...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast