Thread: confusion about patches

thewonderer57 NNTP User

Default confusion about patches

Hi all,

I'm a little confused about something in YaST2 software management. It came about when I was looking for the Firefox 3.0.3 update on my current 3.0.1 installation. I went into "Online update", and selecting "patches" and "needed patches", there is nothing listed, suggesting I was completely upto date.

However in "Software management" in YaST2 I search for MozillaFirefox. and there is a column that states: "Installed (available)", and for this, MozillaFirefox gives:
    3.0.1-0.1 (3.0.3-2.2)

So why, if a newer version on this software is available, is it not shown as a patch for me to download in the "Online Update" section.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: confusion about patches

You don't tell us what repo's you have enabled

zypper lr

Updaes are best done from
    Yast - Software - Software Management
    filter by repositories
    go to Updates
    those highlighted in blue text are updates

(sometimes red text ones appear) these mean there has been a roll back -

You can update all in a repo quickly, by going to the Packages tab at the top of the page and All in this list - Update if newer ver avail.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

thewonderer57 NNTP User

OK so I upgraded by going into YaST2 -> Online Update.
    Then "Package" tab at the top, then "All Packages" then "Upgrade if newer version available". I then had a lot of downloadable packages, including firefox 3.0.3 and Kde 4.1.2 etc etc...

However, I would have expected these to be classed at "patches".

In "Online update" if (before the upgrade) I clicked "Patches" then "Needed Patches", then there were no patches available.

I would class Firefox 3.0.1 to 3.0.3 as a "patch".

One side effect is that the applet that sits in system tray that tells me about available updates doesn't pick up a lot of actual "available" updates.

Am I missing something, or does this not really make sense?

Blog Entries

I don't use the suse updater you refer to, it's usually responsible for screwing things up.

Basically it's ok, if all you have is (oss, non-oss, updates) in your repo list.

After install, I right click it - Quit, it ask if you want it to start at boot, I say NO.

If you use Yast - Software Management as you did, that's fine.
    Filer by repo to see what is available in each. Actually when you choose filter by repo, it open on System at the top of the list. That's all your packages registered as installed with Yast. A quick scroll down shows what's needing updating.

You still didn't say which repo's you have, but by the sound of it, you must have kde4 factory repo's.
    Which just goes to my point about not using the updater from the tray. Once you add repo's which are under development - all hell can break loose.
    I do it, others do, and by the looks of it so do you. Just don't be to angry if it does get messy at times. But we love all the bells and whistles don't we.

Don't get all worked up over terms like updates/patches.
    Just update the Update repo regularly.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by thewonderer57 View Post
    However, I would have expected these to be classed at "patches".

In "Online update" if (before the upgrade) I clicked "Patches" then "Needed Patches", then there were no patches available.

I would class Firefox 3.0.1 to 3.0.3 as a "patch".

One side effect is that the applet that sits in system tray that tells me about available updates doesn't pick up a lot of actual "available" updates.

Am I missing something, or does this not really make sense?
    [softwaremgmt] patch updates vs. package updates with zypper ('up' vs. '

And from man zypper:
    Code:
       Package Types
           zypper  works with several types of resource objects, called resolvables.  A resolvable is a package,
           patch, pattern, or a product.

package - an ordinary RPM package
           patch - update of one or more packages. A patch can include special scripts and messages to be run or
           shown during installation of the update.
           pattern - group of packages required or recommended to install some functionality
           product - group of packages which are necessary to install a product

Throughout  this  manual  we  will refer to resolvables simply as packages and to resolvable types as
           packages types.
    No, doesn't really makes a lot of sense. The user should not need to know about patches vs packages.
    What I do is to ignore patches (with caf4926 method you also ignore patches). I only update packages, and my life is easier.

At least in the command line the situation will improve in openSUSE 11.1 ([zypp-devel] zypper-0.12.7 update/list-updates now defaults to --type pa), not sure about GUI apps.

But at least with openSUSE 11.0 follow caf4926 advice and avoid the suse updater applet. You can make it show package updates with "Show available upgrades when backend provides them (for experts only)" option, but still has other problems...