Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: AVI to DVD application needed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    457

    Default AVI to DVD application needed

    Hi All,

    I am looking for an application to burn a dvd movie from an avi file.


    Thanks

    Heeter
    Linux Counter 475994

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    The search terms you want are "dvd authoring linux". Here's one of the articles from the result set:

    Linux.com :: A quick guide to DVD authoring

    There are lots of links to possible software there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    the one that use and works very well is devede which is in the repo's

  4. #4

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeter View Post
    Hi All,

    I am looking for an application to burn a dvd movie from an avi file.


    Thanks

    Heeter
    gANY2DVD its in the repos and is the one I use, woks great. It is a 2 part process though, if you are trying to do a divX file .You have to convert it to mpeg then to a dvd video and then burn it to dvd. The whole process takes about 30 mins for a full length movie of good quality. which was about what winavi would take me for the same movie. Or learn to do it from the command line there are some great guides about the subject and its allot of fun.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,729
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    the one that use and works very well is devede which is in the repo's
    I too use this.
    One thing to remember is to hit the advanced tab in settings when adding each video.
    By default devede gives each movie 5001Kbits/sec
    Most .avi files will be much less than that.
    But I find I can make a dvd with 2 movies on easily. Change the rate to about 2501 or more if it will allow. Don't nudge too close to the 100% use of the dvd.
    Or TV shows, you can get at least 4.
    Leave the audio as is
    Set aspect 16:1
    Create a .png file of your own for a background and add it to the devede .dir - can give a personal touch.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    Box1: MEPIS-8.5/sidux/openSUSE-11.3M6(broken-wifi/hiddenSSIDs)/XP(32-bit), nvidia 5200
    Lap1: antiX-8.5(KDE4.4.3)/MEPIS-8.5/Vista, Intel 945GM, builtin-wifi->Broadcom-4311(drv=wl)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    Quote Originally Posted by cx_one View Post
    gANY2DVD its in the repos and is the one I use, woks great. It is a 2 part process though, if you are trying to do a divX file .You have to convert it to mpeg then to a dvd video and then burn it to dvd. The whole process takes about 30 mins for a full length movie of good quality. which was about what winavi would take me for the same movie. Or learn to do it from the command line there are some great guides about the subject and its allot of fun.
    Hello cs_one, yesterday it was my firts attempt so far into AVI to DVD encoding and I have got no success by using gANY2DVD.
    My AVI file has not be converted to MPEG, or at least I have not been able to do it.
    One doubt: I have copied /usr/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVus.ttf, into ~.spumex/ , is that the problem?
    Which tests via command line could I do in order to verify the application?
    Beside gANY2DVD what is the best alternative to convert AVI to DVD format?
    Thanks a lot for your attention.
    BR
    Marco Calistri (amdturion)
    opensuse 12.1 (Aspargus) - Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64 Gnome 3.2.1
    Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4 - Intel® Sandybridge Mobile

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,729
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    Quote Originally Posted by amdturion View Post
    Hello cs_one, yesterday it was my firts attempt so far into AVI to DVD encoding and I have got no success by using gANY2DVD.
    My AVI file has not be converted to MPEG, or at least I have not been able to do it.
    One doubt: I have copied /usr/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVus.ttf, into ~.spumex/ , is that the problem?
    Which tests via command line could I do in order to verify the application?
    Beside gANY2DVD what is the best alternative to convert AVI to DVD format?
    Thanks a lot for your attention.
    BR
    Suggest you try
    devede
    It's simple and always works for me
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,523
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    There is a list here of DVD authoring tools:
    Applications - DVD Authoring Tools - openSUSE Forums

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: AVI to DVD application needed

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Suggest you try
    devede
    It's simple and always works for me
    Hi caf, I launched gAnyDVD from console and I noticed it was a problem with mencoder which was not able to recognize the fps rate of the AVI.

    Installing devede, as you suggested has been a success and I have converted my AVI to DVD at first attempt.

    Many thanks and BR to all.
    Marco Calistri (amdturion)
    opensuse 12.1 (Aspargus) - Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64 Gnome 3.2.1
    Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4 - Intel® Sandybridge Mobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •