Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Conky Issues

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12

    Default Conky Issues

    hi guys

    i really want to use Conky as seen on many desktops however i can google loads of pages on how ro configure Conky but i have a bigger problem then that at the moment............i can't find the Conky config file.

    i used the software manager tool thing and install Conky no problems, i can run the program however i want to change the config to get all the funky indicators running, also embed it in the desktop however i can't find the config file.

    Where did opensuse put this file on install?

    i've tried the Alt+h to show hidden files in my home but it's not there.

    hope you can help

    regards

    glen palmer

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Conky Issues

    look under root>etc>conky
    hope that helps

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N40 44.977 W073 59.356
    Posts
    1,170

    Default Re: Conky Issues

    glenpalmer wrote:
    > hi guys
    >
    > i really want to use Conky as seen on many desktops however i can
    > google loads of pages on how ro configure Conky but i have a bigger
    > problem then that at the moment............i can't find the Conky config
    > file.
    >
    > i used the software manager tool thing and install Conky no problems, i
    > can run the program however i want to change the config to get all the
    > funky indicators running, also embed it in the desktop however i can't
    > find the config file.
    >
    > Where did opensuse put this file on install?
    >
    > i've tried the Alt+h to show hidden files in my home but it's not
    > there.
    >
    > hope you can help
    >
    > regards
    >
    > glen palmer
    >
    >

    The main config file is usually in your home directory. It is a hidden
    file called .conkyrc. You most likely will not have this file at first
    so what most people do is file a screenshot of a conky version you like
    and save its file. Then just change it to what you want it to be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Conky Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by 69_rs_ss View Post
    glenpalmer wrote:
    > hi guys
    >
    > i really want to use Conky as seen on many desktops however i can
    > google loads of pages on how ro configure Conky but i have a bigger
    > problem then that at the moment............i can't find the Conky config
    > file.
    >
    > i used the software manager tool thing and install Conky no problems, i
    > can run the program however i want to change the config to get all the
    > funky indicators running, also embed it in the desktop however i can't
    > find the config file.
    >
    > Where did opensuse put this file on install?
    >
    > i've tried the Alt+h to show hidden files in my home but it's not
    > there.
    >
    > hope you can help
    >
    > regards
    >
    > glen palmer
    >
    >

    The main config file is usually in your home directory. It is a hidden
    file called .conkyrc. You most likely will not have this file at first
    so what most people do is file a screenshot of a conky version you like
    and save its file. Then just change it to what you want it to be.
    that never worked for me so i did a file search and the config file is where i said in previous post so if yours is where and works like 69_RS_SS said great if not try the area i said

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Conky Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    look under root>etc>conky
    hope that helps
    Thanks Havoc65

    Found the conky file in /etc/conky/conky.conf

    I made a backup of the file and pasted a script from Gnome-Look over it and it works a treat, thanks again.

    Regards

    Glen

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Conky Issues

    glad i could help and it is working for ya

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bs As Argentina
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Conky Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by glenpalmer View Post
    Thanks Havoc65

    Found the conky file in /etc/conky/conky.conf

    I made a backup of the file and pasted a script from Gnome-Look over it and it works a treat, thanks again.

    Regards

    Glen
    Yes, that is the sample conky that will run if you do NOT have a ~/.conkyrc file.

    You can copy /etc/conky/conky.conf to ~/.conkyrc and starting conky in terminal will now start ~/.conkyrc by default.

    If you want to put it in a different directory, say ~/Conky you start it like this:
    Code:
    conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain &
    You can call it what ever you want:
    Code:
    conky -c ~/Conky/OpenSUSEconky.txt &
    and it will work.

    Why different names? - To run more than one conky:

    For example my ssc.sh (StartStopConky) script I run 4 (and test a few)

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # click to start, click to stop - use for autostart as well
    
    if pidof conky | grep [0-9] > /dev/null
    then
      exec killall conky
    else
    
    #sleep 30  # sleep not required for xfce on startup - 30 or more for others
    conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain &
    conky -c ~/Conky/conkyemail &
    conky -c ~/Conky/conkytext &
    conky -c ~/Conky/conkyforecast &
    
    # test conkys
    #conky -c ~/Conky/haloony/haloony &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/weather2 &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/conkymain_m &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/clock &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/bottom &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/colours &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/test &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/test-2 &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/test-3 &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/basic_conky &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/bruce &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/text_bar &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/moconkyconfig4 &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/James &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/wayne &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/idigchess &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/conkycal &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/hailukah &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/weather &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/dawei87.txt &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/blood &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/dumblebee100 &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/cammy &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/187 &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/pasisti &
    #conky -c ~/Conky/Test/bedwyr-cb &
    
      exit
    fi
    Make a launcher for ssc.sh and you have like it says: click to start, click to stop - use for autostart as well

    Have a nice day.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Yo_Bruce; 20-Jun-2009 at 11:27. Reason: correcting an error
    Conky Hardcore!: http://conky.linux-hardcore.com/
    Looking for OpenSUSE input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •