I recently updated my systems packages to newer versions, if available (with no dependency issues)(suse 11/kde 4.1).

However, after i logged back in I got the "checkerboard" problem (KDE 4.1.1 Upadate Checkerboard Problem - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums).

After adding the qt44 repo and updating that problem was fixed, however...I have a new problem:

Compiz is not started (even though my ccsm settings remain the same). I tried going to session manger but there is no longer an option to change the window manager there...

If I try to "enable desktop effects" under settings (even though I dont use those effects, I use compiz effects) I get the message:

"Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.

Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type."

So, long story short...I can't get compiz working again. Am I missing something simple or is this related to the reason the checkboard problem has come up?

Maybe the window manager was reset to default and not compiz? I dont know how to change that anymore since the option isnt under sessions anymore...

Any help would be appriciated!