Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VMWare 6.5 out of beta

Default VMWare 6.5 out of beta

I've just seen that VMWare 6.5 Workstation and Player have been released out of beta. It's time to give it a try in OpenSuse 11. This weekend I might have time to give the Player a try and hope that compiling showstopper issues are now of the past...

Default Re: VMWare 6.5 out of beta

I've downloaded of the newest copy of VMWare 6.5 (VMPlayer 2.5) the file VMPlayer*.bundle, changed it to an executable file and ran it using sudo.

The result is, that the system is completely installed AND configured perfectly. The only problem is when the kernel gets updated, since the command vmware-config.pl isn't available. I'll search further for this issue.

Download the RPM and not the Bundle.. The RPM installs much better now. The beta version of the RPM blew ass..
    How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight. - Fight Club

Ben Kevan's Blog - That's me

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2k View Post
    I've downloaded of the newest copy of VMWare 6.5 (VMPlayer 2.5) the file VMPlayer*.bundle, changed it to an executable file and ran it using sudo.

The result is, that the system is completely installed AND configured perfectly. The only problem is when the kernel gets updated, since the command vmware-config.pl isn't available. I'll search further for this issue.
    it'll invoke a GUI to run what used to be vmware-config.pl
    How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight. - Fight Club

Ben Kevan's Blog - That's me

Does this version support 3d acceleration for guests like windows?

Yes.

https://www.vmware.com/products/ws/new.html

"Support for DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 2 3D graphics"

From my understanding this will be for Linux hosts as well.

I miss the vmware-config.pl, but there are other programs like vm-support or vmware-modconfig. But they are not that user-friendly like vmware-config.pl. I'll take a closer look in the documentation...

If the .RPM version had the program vmware-config.pl, the .bundle ediion should have also this program, otherwise the .bundle edition has a faulty package...

Forget about vm-support. This script is meant for making dumps for the case of big disaster.

I've found a small issue concerning loading vmware: upon startup of the computer the modules don't get loaded automatically. If I start up my VM I get errors like that the monitor module isn't found. It is found, but not activated. Using the command:

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start

activated my vmware and I can load my VM now correctly. This might be a small bug in SuSE.

I make concerns for if the kernel gets an update. For this issue, I've downloaded the .rpm file and I took a look at it using KRpmView. The .rpm is nothing more than a wrapper around the .bundle file. It's a hard nut to crack for recompilation of the kernel modules, since vmware-config.pl is gone. I still cannot find anything about this in vmware.com. But I'll keep searching.

Quote Originally Posted by hayjeff View Post
    Yes.

https://www.vmware.com/products/ws/new.html

"Support for DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 2 3D graphics"

From my understanding this will be for Linux hosts as well.

I wiil give it a try as I need to run 3d apps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast