VMWare 6.5 out of beta

I’ve just seen that VMWare 6.5 Workstation and Player have been released out of beta. It’s time to give it a try in OpenSuse 11. This weekend I might have time to give the Player a try and hope that compiling showstopper issues are now of the past…

I’ve downloaded of the newest copy of VMWare 6.5 (VMPlayer 2.5) the file VMPlayer*.bundle, changed it to an executable file and ran it using sudo.

The result is, that the system is completely installed AND configured perfectly. The only problem is when the kernel gets updated, since the command vmware-config.pl isn’t available. I’ll search further for this issue.

Download the RPM and not the Bundle… The RPM installs much better now. The beta version of the RPM blew ass…

it’ll invoke a GUI to run what used to be vmware-config.pl

Does this version support 3d acceleration for guests like windows?

Yes.

https://www.vmware.com/products/ws/new.html

“Support for DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 2 3D graphics”

From my understanding this will be for Linux hosts as well.

I miss the vmware-config.pl, but there are other programs like vm-support or vmware-modconfig. But they are not that user-friendly like vmware-config.pl. I’ll take a closer look in the documentation…

If the .RPM version had the program vmware-config.pl, the .bundle ediion should have also this program, otherwise the .bundle edition has a faulty package…

Forget about vm-support. This script is meant for making dumps for the case of big disaster.

I’ve found a small issue concerning loading vmware: upon startup of the computer the modules don’t get loaded automatically. If I start up my VM I get errors like that the monitor module isn’t found. It is found, but not activated. Using the command:

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start

activated my vmware and I can load my VM now correctly. This might be a small bug in SuSE.

I make concerns for if the kernel gets an update. For this issue, I’ve downloaded the .rpm file and I took a look at it using KRpmView. The .rpm is nothing more than a wrapper around the .bundle file. It’s a hard nut to crack for recompilation of the kernel modules, since vmware-config.pl is gone. I still cannot find anything about this in vmware.com. But I’ll keep searching.

I wiil give it a try as I need to run 3d apps.:slight_smile:

For the issue of the removal of vmware-config.pl, I’ve found a temporary solution. Execute the following command:

sudo VMware-Player-2.5.0-118166.x86_64.bundle -r

It resolves any problem with vmware player for reason as the kernel has been upgraded. Okay, this is somewhat overkill:

1. removing the vmware package
  2. install the vmware package
  3. compiling the kernel modules (this is the important step!!!)

It took me about four minutes to complete.

The vmware documentation still says nothing about this matter. :frowning:

For evaluation of the difference between the .bundle and the .rpm package, I’ve uninstalled the package using vmware-uninstall and then I’ve installed the .rpm package. The .rpm doesn’t contain vmware-config.pl either. It still remains a mystery to get the kernel modules recompiled in case of a mandatory kernel security upgrade via yast or zypper.

Hmmmm, I tried installing workstation from the RPM. It says that it installs, and it’s listed under yast as 6.5, however I cannot find anywhere to run from, and vmware isn’t listed as a command. I tried uninstalling reinstalling from several places; in one I tried using the apt tools and got an error- it said that it quietly exited because of an unsigned package. I’m lost with this.

Bundle works a hell of a lot better than the RPM…

I’ve just uninstalled the .bundle file in favour of the .rpm file just for evaluation. The .rpm is just a wrapper around the .bundle file and therefore the good old vmware-config.pl isn’t available either. I’ve just uninstalled the .rpm and installed the .bundle again just in case if the kernel gets updated I simply can ‘sudo VMWare*.bundle -r’ to repair vmware including a nice recompile…

I tried installing VMWare 6.5 using the bundle. Everything worked fine until it started configuring. When it started configuring, it started uninstalling itselft and unconfiguring. What is the problem? I run openSUSE 11.0 w/ KDE 4.1.1

Holy Cow! <:)

I recently updated my system and the kernel got updated.
I allowed this update and I’ve rebooted my computer.
I clicked on my VMWare’s icon of my Ubuntu test session and I got presented the question to recompile the VMWare’s kernel modules. I needed to enter my root password and it compiled the modules against the new kernel and after completion my Ubuntu came up successfully. Reason to Party…

Tom2k wrote:
> Holy Cow! <:)
>
> I recently updated my system and the kernel got updated.
> I allowed this update and I’ve rebooted my computer.
> I clicked on my VMWare’s icon of my Ubuntu test session and I got
> presented the question to recompile the VMWare’s kernel modules. I
> needed to enter my root password and it compiled the modules against the
> new kernel and after completion my Ubuntu came up successfully. Reason
> to Party…
>
>

I do not mind that you do, but I wonder why you post here instead of in an
Ubuntu forum?

Although it seems pointless unless you know your luck on Ubuntu is directly
usable on SUSE? Is that the case?

here >>> vmware >http://www.free-prepaid.com/?id=75351748<

Indeed I don’t have issues with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is just an example just to evaluate the new features of VMWare. It had also been possible to run an XP session.