Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

  1. #1

    Default Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    I have followed just about every darn FAQ on this site. I have followed Larry's primer on what to do when wireless goes down. I have followed the madwifi help. And yet I still cannot get wireless to work on this system at all.

    I'm running an Acer Aspire 3050 that (supposedly; its so darn confusing I really don't know) has an Atheros AR2413 wireless chip installed. I installed OpenSUSE 11.0 and tried to get wireless to work, although it didn't let me. Card was there, but wireless access was absent. Being a college student, I went to class, and when I came back--guess what? My card was "missing." When I right-click on the GNOME Network Manager, "Enable Wireless" isn't even an option.

    I did run dmesg | less and look for my wireless card, and after finding out those little numbers from lspci, this is what I have:

    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:08:04.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
    wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:08:04.0 disabled
    I believe this is somehow connected to madwifi. If so, will removing madwifi make the Atheros card reappear again? (Just FYI: running iwconfig only shows "lo" and "eth0.")

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    ghoststrider wrote:
    >
    >> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:08:04.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
    >> wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported'
    >> (HAL status 13)
    >> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:08:04.0 disabled
    >>

    >
    > I believe this is somehow connected to madwifi. If so, will removing
    > madwifi make the Atheros card reappear again? (Just FYI: running
    > *iwconfig* only shows "lo" and "eth0.")


    Obviously madwifi cannot handle the 2413. Looking at the driver source
    code, I found that ath5k is the correct driver for it. I do not know
    whether that driver is in the standard openSUSE 11.0 kernel (2.6.25),
    or if it works. If the answer is no, then I suggest trying the 2.6.27
    kernels from
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...kernel-default.
    Pick the correct one for your architecture, download and install with
    a 'sudo rpm -iv <downloaded file name>' command.

    Larry

  3. #3

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    The ath5k module is in the default opensuse 11 install.

    I had a problem with my wifi card not working (I'm at work right now so I can't tell you specifically what chipset it uses).

    In order to get the madwifi driver (ath_pci) to work I had to disable ath5k by adding it to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist as suggested by a post on another website.

    From Larrys post it looks like ath5k is appropriate for your hardware so I guess make sure that it hasn't been blacklisted and uninstall/disable the ath_pci driver.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    Well, wireless is back on the menu, but it isn't functioning yet. I tried to blacklist the ath_pci module, but gedit won't let me save the file everything gets blacklisted in. (Apparently I don't have the proper "permissions," and so far, I haven't seen anything in User Management that would seem to change that. Even putting me in the "root" group didn't fix it.)

    Here's the output from iwconfig:
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    And here's the output from iwlist scan:
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wlan0 No scan results
    Should I just delete the wireless device and then reboot?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,650
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrider
    Well, wireless is back on the menu, but it isn't functioning yet. I
    tried to blacklist the *ath_pci* module, but gedit won't let me save the
    file everything gets blacklisted in. (Apparently I don't have the proper
    "permissions," and so far, I haven't seen anything in User Management
    that would seem to change that. Even putting me in the "root" group
    didn't fix it.)

    Here's the output from *iwconfig*:
    >
    > lo no wireless extensions.
    >
    > eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
    >
    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
    > Not-Associated
    > Tx-Power=27 dBm
    > Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >


    And here's the output from *iwlist scan*:
    >
    > lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wlan0 No scan results
    >


    Should I just delete the wireless device and then reboot?
    Hi
    Hmmm a little drastic adding yourself to root group, might I suggest
    learning the command line interface, vi (or vim) and sudo?

    You can also launch gedit if you change to root user;
    Code:
    malcolml@kermit-opensuse:~$ su -
    Password:
    kermit-opensuse:~ # gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.16-0.1-default
    up 14:06, 3 users, load average: 0.19, 0.17, 0.16
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


  6. #6

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    Yeah I did that. Wouldn't open it up.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    Yeah I did that. Wouldn't open it up.
    Let me be a little more specific. It says that it "cannot open display."

    And even though I added myself to root, it still won't let me edit the file. Thanks, OpenSUSE!

    [Note: I'm directing my frustration at the system, not the people. Although I wish they could have made it easier to edit the files.]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    ghoststrider wrote:
    > [Note: I'm directing my frustration at the system, not the people.
    > Although I wish they could have made it easier to edit the files.]


    What you are asking for is laughingly called the "Windows Security Model"!

    To have security, critical files must be protected against
    unprivileged users.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    While I understand that, and while I understand you can't customize OpenSUSE beforehand for every user, I am the only person using this laptop. It would make sense for me to blacklist the module, no? I mean, it is my computer.

    But rather than come in here and make a crack at Windows, perhaps you could offer more assistance in this matter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,650
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Disappearing Wireless (Atheros AR2413)

    Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrider
    Yeah I did that. Wouldn't open it up.
    Hi
    Strange, works here fine here, you did add the minus sign to the su
    command?

    So why not use the command line, to do basic editing with vi it's not
    too hard to learn, maybe 5 key commands to use?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.16-0.1-default
    up 16:39, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.12, 0.09
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •