Thread: Creating a Photograph Printing Method

Default Creating a Photograph Printing Method

I need to come up with a quick Solution as it's my schools open evening next tuesday. Last year we made posters of every potential student who came in the ICT Department in which we'd do the following:

• Take a Photo on Digital Camera
    • Insert the Image into a "Wanted" Word Template we made
    • Print the image

This year I want to simplify this process, is there any way I can come up with a system on OpenSUSE or any Linux distro where we'd simply take the photo, it will then automatically insert it into the template and then send a print signal. That would be excellent.

I've posted this on Ubuntu Forum as well, just wondering what ideas people have.

Default Re: Creating a Photograph Printing Method

ImageMagick is a script driven program; so you should be able to write a bash script to do this but I'm not sure whether you could learn enough about ImageMagick to do it in a few days if you have never used it.

I've got all weekend to experiment with things, so as long as I have something by monday everything will be fine. Or else it will have to be manual like last year. I'll give that a go, thanks.

look at photoprint (it is in opensuse repository, GPL license)
    photoprint borders

Introduction to PhotoPrint

from repo it does not containe any effects(templates) for me

you can compile it yourself...

hope this will be helpfull for you...
    intelGMA3100#amd|radeonHD4200+radeonHD5450@catalyst12.4
    WC5020B,PagePro1480MF,LBP2900,hpCP1510,PHOTO1290,Scanmaker3600,PerfectionV200

2Vince4Amy
    i think i miss something...

you need to print document?

it is difference in image and document containing image... if you did not understand that your skills is not really good for making such things (imho)... also it possible that you have simple misstake.

to help you i need to understand what is you doing wrong...

Insert the Image into a "Wanted" Word Template we made
    you making from people "sherloc holmses" i do not want to become him
    some questions
    1. you shure you need to post here? what system you have? you shure that it does not containe word "windows"

if your operating system containe word linux... you choose right place...
    ok
    1. you write that you place you raster image to word...freeeze

did you mean microsoft word? or you just call oowrirter or something simmilar - "word"

it is difference because you have linux application or you run ms word in wine? for now i could not print from wine applications... so i could not help with this...

also it is important that you have properly installed printer drivers... and properly setup cups sysem...

too many questions after you question... please help us help you...

I'll explain better, I was a little tired last night sorry.

Basically for a laugh for these new kids who come round and visit the school we make a poster which says

"Wanted by *** School ICT Department" Which contains them words and then an photograph that we take of the student, it's just a bit of fun and something they can take home as a souvenir if you will.

Last year we would take a photograph, copy it from the camera via USB to the local computer, then insert it into a premade Word Template we made earlier, every time we'd take a photo we'd manually drag it into the template that we made and the printed. Yes this worked, but it was time consuming and the time that each groups to see a department is as short as 10 minutes.

This year I want to try something new. I'd like to be able to take the photo on the camera, but from there the image will Automatically be inserted into the premade odt template and then it will automatically be printed after this. Just a time saver.

So basically:

Photo Taken>Automatically Inserted in Template>Auto Printed

1. you shure you need to post here? what system you have? you shure that it does not containe word "windows"

if your operating system containe word linux... you choose right place...
    ok
    I'm an OpenSUSE/Slackware user I know what I'm talking about. The system I'm working with is irrelevant. I just would like to know if this is possible using OpenSUSE. My main concerns are just getting the automatic steps above working, I have already configured the system and connected it to the network printer, you don't need to worry about that side of things

i am still not understand what you mean with word template...
    but no matter...

as i understand you need pickup image from some folder then change sise or|and crop image and compose (no trancperancy) it with another image (what you call word template)

i make it with gimp, inkscape or scribus... it needed to write some script on python...

i'm not have a time now to wrote(and test) it maybe later...

if you sfamillar with python you also could make this with pil just in console

as i understand you need pickup image from some folder then change sise or|and crop image and compose (no trancperancy) it with another image (what you call word template)
    No, never mind about cropping or anything, when importing a photograph in the Writer template I made it automatically gets the correct size for the A4 paper.

All I need it to do is as soon as new photo is taken from the camera, it will automatically import to OpenOffice and then Print on its own without me having to drag the image into OpenOffice and then clicking print.