Thread: New OpenSUSE User: Application Questions

Jban NNTP User

Default New OpenSUSE User: Application Questions

Hello,

I'm new to OpenSUSE (11.0) but not new to using Linux itself, however, I just have a few questions which I would like to post here in one spot, which I hope is the correct forum for this topic.

Question/Topic Summary: These questions are, basically, being asked to help me feel "at home" on my OpenSUSE system, not like a brand new apartment.

And now for my questions, I'll try to keep them brief and concise:

1.) What sort of multi-media organiser do you recommend that works great under OpenSUSE 11.0 (think iTunes but works with everything)? Recommendations?

2.) For my media needs, what is the best way to go about being able to view the majority of site conent out there on the web? Flash, YouTube, movie trailers, etc. Please recommend clear ways where I can get the right codecs for OpenSUSE for mostly everything a normal user would want.

3.) Today when I was installing updates, I had to click on each individual one and "Install" then Apply them all. How do you just install "all updates"? By all, I mean all of whichever catagory I wish to install from (Recommended, Security, etc.).

4.) What other questions should I be asking?

Thank you!

Default Re: New OpenSUSE User: Application Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jban View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to OpenSUSE (11.0) but not new to using Linux itself, however, I just have a few questions which I would like to post here in one spot, which I hope is the correct forum for this topic.

Question/Topic Summary: These questions are, basically, being asked to help me feel "at home" on my OpenSUSE system, not like a brand new apartment.

1.) What sort of multi-media organiser do you recommend that works great under OpenSUSE 11.0 (think iTunes but works with everything)? Recommendations?

2.) For my media needs, what is the best way to go about being able to view the majority of site conent out there on the web? Flash, YouTube, movie trailers, etc. Please recommend clear ways where I can get the right codecs for OpenSUSE for mostly everything a normal user would want.

3.) Today when I was installing updates, I had to click on each individual one and "Install" then Apply them all. How do you just install "all updates"? By all, I mean all of whichever catagory I wish to install from (Recommended, Security, etc.).

4.) What other questions should I be asking?

Thank you!
    0.) What DE do you use? (Now I'll give you KDE related answers)

1.) - 2.) 1-click-collection - openSUSE-Community - Under Multimedia click on the Codecs pack for KDE. It installs the flash player, java, the latest Amarok (multi media organizer from 1.) ), codecs, etc.

3.) Update your system with openSUSE updater applet (it is sitting on your system tray). Click on it, and in the Patches tab, click to the Select All Patches. Then hit install.

4.) If you want to update other packages, like mplayer, java, flash, you need to add some Additional package repositories - here you can find repository list and a how-to for adding these repositories to YaST.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

Jban NNTP User

Ahh, I use Gnome.

Ahh, I use Gnome.
    1.) - 2.)Okay! Then under the 1-click-collection - openSUSE-Community click to Codecs pack for GNOME I can't help you in the media organizer...

3.) I think, you have the same opensuseupdater applet under Gnome.

4.) Do it in YaST (see the how-to under the link).

Same place 1-click-collection Restricted Formats/11.0 - openSUSE-Community
    only look for Gnome, after that the same proceedure as outlined by Ram.
    I would like to add though after you've gotten the Restricted formats go here:
    Package Repositories - openSUSE
    add the Gnome Stable & Gnome Community
    Then go here :
    Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE
    these are all optional but for me I added the Mozilla repo so I can have the latest Firefox as soon as it comes out.
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Thank you!
    In the right hand panel, click on any package to highlight it. Then right-click to bring up the menu, scroll to "all in this list" click on it to bring up another sub-menu and select "update if newer version is available"

When I do this, I select the bottom "category" which is "all" and then do as above, to update all packages at once.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Jban NNTP User

Thank you for your replies.

I now have VLC, and YouTube clips work under Mozilla. However, I prefer to use Opera over Mozilla, and when trying to play YouTube clips, it cuases the application to crash.

Additionally, I went to the Community & OpenSUSE Stable... but I don't know how to add repository files in OpenSUSE. I believe this is why I am unable to play Quicktime trailers.

And there has been an application that I am unable to update: libxvidcore4, because there is some sort of conflict about one being obsolete?

Thank you for your replies.

I now have VLC, and YouTube clips work under Mozilla. However, I prefer to use Opera over Mozilla, and when trying to play YouTube clips, it cuases the application to crash.

Additionally, I went to the Community & OpenSUSE Stable... but I don't know how to add repository files in OpenSUSE. I believe this is why I am unable to play Quicktime trailers.

And there has been an application that I am unable to update: libxvidcore4, because there is some sort of conflict about one being obsolete?
    In my first post i told you to view the readme under this link Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE. Direct link to the howto: Add Package Repositories to YaST - openSUSE. Do not forget to add Mozilla repository to update your Mozilla to the latest version!
    Here is the list for Official Package Repositories - openSUSE - add it to update your openSuse, and official packages.
    If you want to view Quicktime movies, then you need to install codecs pack. The link is in my first post, here is: 1-click-collection - openSUSE-Community (install Codecs pack for GNOME).