Thread: KDE4 Dolphin can't access ftp sites

Question KDE4 Dolphin can't access ftp sites

Hi, I'm running KDE4.1 (the factory repos).

Just recently dolphin started popping up an error when I try to access ftp sites through it (happens in konq too, I guess because it uses the dolphin part). The error is this:
    URL cannot be listed
    ftp:<somesite>

Happens on all ftp sites. I can still fish: to sites I have a shell on. Can't find anything anywhere about this... any help/explanation/told to wait cos I'm on Factory...

Default Re: KDE4 Dolphin can't access ftp sites

Wrong way round. Dolphin is a file manager. You need to use Konqueror for web browsing. If you are getting a problem, it's in Konqueror, not Dolphin.

Default Re: KDE4 Dolphin can't access ftp sites

Yes, the exact same error in konqueror. Up until last week dolphin & konq both worked over ftp. They both still work for smb, fish (ssh), webdav etc just not ftp.

If konq worked I would happily use it, but neither of them can access ftp - they just give that same error. I was wondering if the protocol handler (or whatever, kioslave) for ftp had been removed/was broken or something?

Currently I am using kftpgrabber (kde3 app), but I much prefer using the file manager to manage files with, even remote ones.

If you try ftp://ftp.somesite.org in dolphin you get a little dropdown which lists various protocols (imap, sftp etc) but no ftp.

Red face [SOLVED] Re: KDE4 Dolphin can't access ftp sites

Sorry, I have got it fixed - konqueror had stale proxy settings in it, and was ignoring the proxy settings I had configured via YAST.

Once I had removed the proxy, konq & dolphin both started working.

Any reason why Yast has a proxy setting & so does konq, why can't they share?