Thread: bug in Yast's sound module

Default bug in Yast's sound module

in order to get my soundcard to properly work, i need to add "model=6stack-dig" to my /etc/modprobe.d/sound. after restarting the sound server and tuning volumes sliders with alsamixer, i end up with a fully functional sound system.

now, the trouble come from yast. should i go into its sound module and try to modify some settings, i quickly get a bork sound system : /etc/modprobe.d/sound gets modified in a way that either removes sound or make it partially functional. this buggy behaviour may be shown by trying to manually set the "model=" option through yast : it doesn't work, and this setting is actually not properly saved.

the only workaround is to manually edit /etc/modprobe.d/sound and never, ever touch yast's sound module again.

this doesn't look very professional... i've been using opensuse for 2 days and so far i must say i had small good surprises (speed, look) and very big disappointments (bugs, missing features, sound-video-keyboard-... issues).

btw i use 11.0 64 bit.

Default Re: bug in Yast's sound module

Quote Originally Posted by brazzmonkey View Post
    big disappointments (bugs, missing features, sound-video-keyboard-... issues).

btw i use 11.0 64 bit.
    Waht exactly mean by this ?
    dobby9

what ? my disappointments ?

The missing features .
    dobby9
    Last edited by dobby9; 23-Sep-2008 at 06:34. Reason: save too soon

ah...
    this is off-topic then, isn't it ?
    well don't pay attention, i was a bit upset when i started this thread...
    anyhow, by missing features i was thinking about these little things that make your life simpler (and prevent the newbie from running away...): automatic codec and proprietary software download (a la ubuntu) for instance.
    to tell you the truth, my biggest disappointment is hardware support (we're talking about my computer): i still have to go into much tweaking before i get all my hardware functional (i'm talking about stuff that worked on other distros - but they were 32-bit ones.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brazzmonkey View Post
    the only workaround is to manually edit /etc/modprobe.d/sound and never, ever touch yast's sound module again.
    Its been like this for some time (unfortunately).

You could write a bug report on openSUSE:
    Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE

if so, this means this is a known bug.
    i'll report bugs if i decide to stick with this distro (i've been using it for 3 days...)