Thread: Video Playback Problem in VLC

Question Video Playback Problem in VLC

Hey I'm running Open Suse 11 with KDE 4 and whenever I try to get video play back on VLC it works...however if I move it goes all black and just plays the audio. I think this is because I'm using Compiz Fusion. Is there away around that or something of the sort? Or am I being too vague?

Default Re: Video Playback Problem in VLC

What do you mean by move it?
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorcire View Post
    Hey I'm running Open Suse 11 with KDE 4 and whenever I try to get video play back on VLC it works...however if I move it goes all black and just plays the audio. I think this is because I'm using Compiz Fusion. Is there away around that or something of the sort? Or am I being too vague?
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

as in click and drag on the title bar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorcire View Post
    Have you tried changing the vlc video output module from "auto" (or "xv" / "xvideo" ) to "x11" ?

I had the same problems. I think VLC version 0.9.2 is better and more stable. Even flash player doesn't function as it should with compiz enabled. In the end I decided to live without the effects and media life has been so much better.

Webpin

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Have you tried changing the vlc video output module from "auto" (or "xv" / "xvideo" ) to "x11" ?
    no, i didn't. that makes it a heck of a lot better still a little bit of problems but I just have to re-click it to have it come back. Thanks

combatdoc NNTP User

Hi the video issues are related to Compiz Fusion, and also any other composite manager, at least in gnome. (metacity composit, xcompmgr, etc)

It has to do with the way the windows are buffered and then blitted to the desktop. The refresh needed for video is just not there yet.

I have seen this effect in Compiz, xcompmgr, metacity w/ composite, Beryl, etc.

Just turn off Compiz (CCSM, Simple CCSM, or fusion icon) and your video will return to normal.

I don't know if it happens in kwin with the composite effects turned on though. Just haven't tested it as I use mostly gnome.