Thread: need help connecting, all steps in primer followed

unenlitend NNTP User

Default need help connecting, all steps in primer followed

hello, my name is scott and i've been messing with this for some time and would like some help

in xp, my wlan works fine...but when i installed opensuse it detected the card but i couldn't detect any access points with knetworkmanager...but it did find them when scanning with 'sudo /user/sbin/iwlist scan'. does opensuse allow for 64 bit WEP encryption? the following is the output of the commands suggested in the primer for snooping:

/sbin/lspci
    0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

/sbin/lspci -n
    0b:00.0 0280: 14e4:4311 (rev 01)

sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:3F:1C:17:89
    ESSID:"Hampton"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:5
    Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)
    Quality=86/100 Signal level=-48 dBm Noise level=-68 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=0000005fb9bac151

thankyou for your help

Default Re: need help connecting, all steps in primer followed

so, you have the firmware/driver installed ? if so, click on network manager - new connection & fill in the blanks, with WEP,you can select between 40/128 hex/ascii/passphrase encryption. make sure it is the same as the router you are using,e.g. hex-hex,ascii-ascii,passphrase-passphrase

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

unenlitend NNTP User

i did that, and the icon in the lower right corner spun for a short time then went back to the original icon without connecting.

Try changing the channel on the router,it could be interference stopping the connection, & make sure you have no typo's

Andy

unenlitend NNTP User

tried that, i think the problem is something else. i don't really understand why this particular AP would work for several other computers but not this one, but i think the better indicator is that none of the many wireless routers in the area show up when i start to create a new connection in knetworkmanager...but are visible with a wlist scan...is there a command line way of configuring the connection? maybe the issue is just knetworkmanager in general.

there is a command-line way,but you will have to read the man page for it,as listing all the necessary commands here is a bit counter-productive. Open a console & type
    Code:
    man iwconfig
    that should give you something to work with. Also, check everything is correct via YaST-network devices-network settings. You can also change to "traditional ifup " method to see if that helps

Andy

unenlitend NNTP User

after a little reading and some playing around, i figured out what the problem was. thankyou for your help, i really appreciate

can you describe what you did to establish your connection unenlitend? It often helps others following in your wake to see what worked ..

rush_ad NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by unenlitend View Post
    after a little reading and some playing around, i figured out what the problem was. thankyou for your help, i really appreciate
    yes, i would like to know what you did, i am having same problem with 64-BIT WEP