Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: YaST Installation stopped working...

  1. #1

    Default YaST Installation stopped working...

    YaST itself works just fine with the Administrator Setting thing, but if I try to do the Software Management, do anything with the Repositories, or do a System update, I get a stupid error message. The one for Software Management says:

    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'YUIPluginException'
    what(): Couldn't load plug-in qt
    YaST got signal 6 at YCP file SlideShow.ycp:132
    /sbin/yast2: line 433: 4739 Aborted $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS
    Loading simple Config module ...
    Creating backend ...
    <00000738>:scim_skk_imengine.cpp:122 > Create SKK Factory :
    <00000739>:scim_skk_imengine.cpp:123 > Lang : ja_JP
    <00000740>:scim_skk_imengine.cpp:124 > UUID : ec43125f-f9d3-4a77-8096-de3a35290ba9
    Loading socket FrontEnd module ...
    Starting SCIM as daemon ...
    Loading socket Config module ...
    Creating backend ...
    Loading x11 FrontEnd module ...
    Failed to load x11 FrontEnd module.
    <00000592>:scim_skk_imengine.cpp:122 > Create SKK Factory :
    <00000593>:scim_skk_imengine.cpp:123 > Lang : ja_JP
    <00000594>:scim_skk_imengine.cpp:124 > UUID : ec43125f-f9d3-4a77-8096-de3a35290ba9

    Does anyone know how to get this working again, I kind of like my updates to work, and for my Packages to be installable, since I pretty much stand little-to-no chance installing by command line and stuff.

  2. #2

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    Just about everything in the Administrator Settings isn't working basically at this point, almost everything gives me an error message. I think the only one I actually have checked that worked was the Monitor and Graphics Card thing so far, I tried to use that repair thing on the DVD and nothing of that actually worked.

    If anyone knows what's going on and/or how to fix it, please do tell me. I'd really like to not have to try to record every setting I have and reinstall, especially since I honestly don't even know exactly which packages let some of my programs work with things...

    ~<>~
    EDIT
    ~<>~
    Puzzled Penguin doesn't quite describe it enough, at this point you could also throw on baffled, confused, befuddled, and all sorts of other words describing my complete inability to figure out what's going on here...

  3. #3

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    Um, anyone have a solution to this? It'd be really nice to actually get all my updates again and get to go install things, and I'd really like to avoid having to reinstall again because I've got like a billion settings that I've made on accident since I installed, so yeah...

    It'd be nice to get to have YaST working again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    you could try to remove and reinstall YaST using zypper..

    but, i do not know how to do that.....however, i think i remember a
    previous posting in one of the fora on it....try the search function

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  5. #5

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    I don't have the answer, just some advice based upon past experience, particularly with the infamous SUSE 10.1 ....

    1) If downloading software updates goes wrong, just wait 24-48 hours and try again. Resist the temptation to fix things immediately. Eventually, someone will have alerted the problem, someone will have fixed it, and the mirrors will have the working version.

    2) Get Smart! (Smart Package Manager) If YaST or Smart subsequently breaks, you've got two GUI tools to try, which can give insights into the problem. If one barfs, it's the application, if both barf, it's probably the repository.

    If you're feeling brave, try and get Smart working in the meantime. If you succeed, it's going to be easier to use Smart to reinstall YaST. You can get the tarball or RPMs here so you don't need a package manager to install it.

    Smart Package Manager - Labix

  6. #6

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    Ooh. Have you tried YaST from the Linux console command line? It's a bit like DOS circa 1985, but you can get stuff done. Don't be scared, it's a sort-of-gui from the Stone Age, but it's easy to navigate once you get the hang of the alt+<letter> highlight commands.

    I'm suggesting this because your error message complains about QT and X11.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,864
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD
    you could try to remove and reinstall YaST using zypper..

    but, i do not know how to do that.....however, i think i remember a
    previous posting in one of the fora on it....try the search function
    Hi
    Have a look at the man page for zypper

    sudo zypper ref will refresh the repositories
    sudo zypper lu will list updates
    sudo zypper up will apply the updates
    sudo zypper se yast2 will show you all the yast packages the "i" in the
    first column shows it's installed.
    sudo zypper in <name_of_package> will install it
    sudo zypper in -t pattern <name_of_pattern> will install all files
    associated with the pattern.

    And many more, see the man pages.

    As a side note have you tried yast (not yast2) from the cli?

    P.S. DenverD, your sig is broken add a space after the -- eg
    --{space}

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.16-0.1-default
    up 8:57, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


  8. #8

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ44 View Post
    I don't have the answer, just some advice based upon past experience, particularly with the infamous SUSE 10.1 ....

    1) If downloading software updates goes wrong, just wait 24-48 hours and try again. Resist the temptation to fix things immediately. Eventually, someone will have alerted the problem, someone will have fixed it, and the mirrors will have the working version.

    2) Get Smart! (Smart Package Manager) If YaST or Smart subsequently breaks, you've got two GUI tools to try, which can give insights into the problem. If one barfs, it's the application, if both barf, it's probably the repository.

    If you're feeling brave, try and get Smart working in the meantime. If you succeed, it's going to be easier to use Smart to reinstall YaST. You can get the tarball or RPMs here so you don't need a package manager to install it.

    Smart Package Manager - Labix
    Actually it's been several days that it was having trouble with the updates...
    Do I want to know what Smart is and how to get it? I mean it sounds like a way to manage my Packages here, but that doesn't fix the rest of my administrator stuff, does it? And the RPMs try to use the Package Manager thing, don't they?

    Also, if you can find a way for me to use a command line to install, I don't mind that, I simply don't know how at the moment...

    (I'll post again after trying what the other fellow said)

  9. #9

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    The first line you had me do said:
    Code:
    Target initialization failed:
    rpmdb2solv -r '/' -p '/etc/products.d' '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solv'  > '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solvit9giy'
         repo_products: syntax error at line 1:0
    So yeah, I don't quite think that's going to work...
    Really, all of the YaST stuff is going crazy. None of my YaST Administrator Setting things work (well, a couple small exceptions, but really, most nearly all of them don't work)

    Looking at a few of those other lines and their responses, they basically all don't work...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,864
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: YaST Installation stopped working...

    Quote Originally Posted by G Warrior107
    The first line you had me do said:

    Code:
    --------------------

    Target initialization failed:
    rpmdb2solv -r '/' -p '/etc/products.d'
    '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solv' >
    '/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solvit9giy' repo_products: syntax error
    at line 1:0 --------------------

    So yeah, I don't quite think that's going to work...
    Really, all of the YaST stuff is going crazy. None of my YaST
    Administrator Setting things work (well, a couple small exceptions, but
    really, most nearly all of them don't work)

    Looking at a few of those other lines and their responses, they
    basically all don't work...

    Hi
    You could also try some of the clean up tools? See
    http://en.opensuse.org/Getting_Started_with_openSUSE and look at the
    section called "Package Manager Cleanup "

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.16-0.1-default
    up 14:15, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.29, 0.34
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •