Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where installed softwares go?

Default where installed softwares go?

i recently installed wine and other softwares! where they go? how can i find them?

Default Re: where installed softwares go?

all your installed software should be on your application browser it is all alphabetical so it should be close to the bottom of the list

I'd like to ask the same question, where wine went? I see that it's installed, but can't see it on "Applications", neither can I get it working, that is, I don't know how- to do that...

How can I install a downloaded program, such as Firefox? I click on the downloaded program, and it opens on the Archive Manager...then what to do?
    I am VERY new to OpenSuse
    Thanks!

you can run wine from a console,just type wine & press enter. As for Firefox,@Chdslv, why not use rpm's to install instead of using tar.gz files ? or use YaST-software - Software management to install software

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

When you install wine, you dont actually get an entry in your application launcher (k-menu, or gnome...).

I'd advise you to install wine-doors. When installed you will get an entry under "Sytem", listed as "Windows application Installer".
    With this app you will be able to install windows application through a nice GUI (as I see you're not really familiar with cli...)

Good luck

PS. Some other advice: get to know some basic cli. Could come in handy

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer44 View Post
    you can run wine from a console,just type wine & press enter. As for Firefox,@Chdslv, why not use rpm's to install instead of using tar.gz files ? or use YaST-software - Software management to install software

Andy

i did tried to run it from command. but i recieved:
    Code:
    omid@linux-3hj1:~> wine
    Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...]   Run the specified program
           wine --help                   Display this help and exit
           wine --version                Output version information and exit
    i trued as:
    Code:
    omid@linux-3hj1:~> wine PROGRAM
    wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\PROGRAM.exe": Module not found
    as i remember in ubuntu it had a GUI! but no problem. now what should i do?

Thumbs up Re: where installed softwares go?

Quote Originally Posted by gavro_g View Post
    When you install wine, you dont actually get an entry in your application launcher (k-menu, or gnome...).

I'd advise you to install wine-doors. When installed you will get an entry under "Sytem", listed as "Windows application Installer".
    With this app you will be able to install windows application through a nice GUI (as I see you're not really familiar with cli...)

Good luck

PS. Some other advice: get to know some basic cli. Could come in handy
    thank u! wine-doors worked
    could u introduce me some resources for cli?
    in ubuntu i have installed 30 windows softwares in linux :->
    including photoshop, jetAudio, MSOffice, IE, Internet download accelator, need for speed , babylone6 and...

I have wine installed and all I need to do is go to the task bar click on computer more applications then a window will open up and I scroll down to wine and it shows all of my Wine things that I have

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
    I have wine installed and all I need to do is go to the task bar click on computer more applications then a window will open up and I scroll down to wine and it shows all of my Wine things that I have
    u r in gnome! we are talking about kde

Quote Originally Posted by emab View Post
    thank u! wine-doors worked
    could u introduce me some resources for cli?
    in ubuntu i have installed 30 windows softwares in linux :->
    including photoshop, jetAudio, MSOffice, IE, Internet download accelator, need for speed , babylone6 and...
    You've got a long (but exciting) way to go
    Have a look @ LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.
    You can also find some SuSE books on the net for help!
    - Books - openSUSE
    - newbe book: http://www.suseblog.com/?p=141 (best for you i think!)

edit:
    and by the way, if you want some polished way of installing and using windows applications AND support wine, you could give crossover (office) a try (commercial).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast