Thread: Limited Sound

Soapminer NNTP User

Default Limited Sound

I've currently got openSUSE 11 dual booted with Vista on my Acer Extensa 5620z laptop. Everything works great (took a bit to get my wireless working but works now) except that the only sound that I appear to be getting out of it is from Pidgin, when I receive and send an IM. I've tried Pandora.com, playing an mp3 and checking out youtube to see if I could get anything with no luck. Any suggestions? Also, I'm kind of new to linux in general, not noob-new but still.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Limited Sound

Check your configuration in Yast hardware sound
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Default Re: Limited Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Soapminer View Post
    ... except that the only sound that I appear to be getting out of it is from Pidgin, when I receive and send an IM.
    If you get sound from Pidgin, but not from elsewhere, this is likely a codec problem. You can help confirm that by copy and pasting this sound test into a gnome-terminal or konsole:
    speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
    you should hear a female voice saying "left front", "left right" five times.

If that works, then its a matter of setting up your codecs. BEFORE you do that, I recommend you setup your software package manager's repositories (repos) with 4 and only 4 repos. Specifically OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4. No others. When you learn more about the quirks of openSUSE Linux, and understand the risks associated with adding others, then you can add others. You can get instructions on how to add those 4 here:
    Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community
    ... again, add/setup only OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. No others.

Once those are setup, you can install software from those 4 repositories easily with no problem, as dependencies will automatically be sorted for you (note those 4 are the largest).

Then tackle your codecs.

For youtube you will need flash-player and also mplayerplug-in. Hence I recommend you install the following software from Packman: libxine1, xine-ui, smplayer, mplayerplug-in, libffmpeg0. From SuSE-GmbH/Novell install flash-player. If you have xine-lib from SuSE-GmbH/Novell installed, then remove it. If you have libffmpeg0 installed from videolan, then remove it. Grab the Packman packaged versions where practical.

I'm off on vacation for then next week or so, and will not be able to follow up on this thread, but there are many others more qualified than I on this forum who can help. So just post if you have a problem. Good luck.

Soapminer NNTP User

Talking Re: Limited Sound

Awesome, thanks oldcpu. Followed the steps and now it's working flawlessly .