KDE Update Problem

I’ve just updated KDE, I am running, I don’t know It hink it is 4.1, from the Opensuse 11 KDE 4 factory repository.

I just updated KDE. Switched off for a while, then booted the computer back up and the desktop is, well, not exactly there, Instead I have small white and gray squares that cover the entire desktop except for one very small square that kinf of looks like it might be my desktop, lol. THe only thing that loads is Kopete, and when I hit on this little desktop lookalike square kde disapears.

Any ideas on what I have done and how to get it back, LOL

Thanks

Do you have kde3 installed. I hope so.

If you don’t even know which desktop environment you are using, you should NOT be using kde4.1 at least not on it’s own.

Hopefully too, you do not have auto login enabled. In which case, at the login screen, at least for now, you can login to icewin desktop - which should be installed by default.

Go to Yast - Software - Software Management, filter by Patterns
scroll down and check
kde3desktop
kde3base
then finish

You need to tell us MORE about your PC

no I don’t have 3 installed, as I have installed from the live cd which really has crap all back up for when this happens. but a quick look at another thread and I think I know what to do

I updated today and am experiencing the same problem. It’s like plasma is not loading correctly. I do have KDE3 installed though :slight_smile:

KDE 4.1.1 (KDE 4.1 >= 20080828) “release 51.2” openSUSE 11.0

Did you have any dependency issues? Because I did. I had to bring in updates from the QT4 build service which I don’t have enabled all the time.

Is your issue the same? Chequered screen, grey and white?

Also you might want to check this
KDE 4.1.1 Upadate Checkerboard Problem - openSUSE Forums

seems like maybe rename your hidden .kde4 folder may help
I have had to do that in the early days of kde4

QT4 build service is what fixed it for me.