Firefox 3 Display Problems

I cannot get FF3 to display linked (minimized) pages properly. The appear much too large and their borders are off-screen, so that I can’t do anything to recover! Some are virtually right of the screen.

I tried a “clean” re-install (un-installing, deleteing the .mozilla file, then re-installing), but that didn’t work.

I then tried the “fix” recommended on the Mozilla web-site, which was to close FF3, open a terminal and restarting in safe mode (“firefox -safe-mode”) selecting “reset toolbars” in the resulting window, then choosing “accept and re-start”. This resulted in the following stream of error messages:

*(firefox:5009): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)’ failed

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

(firefox:5009): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)’ failed

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

(firefox:5009): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)’ failed

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2180: invalid unclassed object pointer for value type `GdkScreen’

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2180: invalid unclassed object pointer for value type `GdkScreen’

(firefox:5009): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL *: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

I have checked that I have the latest gtk and glib libraries, and everything seems to be OK.

Can anyone help me before I ditch FF3, and revert to FF2?

I am using openSUSE 10.3, and KDE 3.5 on a Dell Dimension 3000.

Thanks in advance

> Can anyone help me before I ditch FF3, and revert to FF2?
>
> I am using openSUSE 10.3, and KDE 3.5 on a Dell Dimension 3000.

i can not help you other than to say that i have an operating
perfectly FF 3.0.1 on 10.3 in KDE3…so it is possible to not have
to go back…

but, how to fix yours i don’t know as mine was just born
working–that is when YaST did the upgrade from v FF2 to 3, it just
worked…

MAYBE try this:

Edit > Preferences > Tabs
and select “New pages should be opened in: a new tab”

that should stop FF from spawning new, external FF windows and
thereby eliminate the possibility of them falling off the screen…

cross your fingers.

see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon