speeding up opensuse 11

i am running opensuse 11 on my compaq presario v3000, amd turion 64, nvidia geforce 6300 ( i think), 2gb ram, fairly good specs.

i feel that opensuse is running kinda slow on my laptop, its mainly with games but its getting more frequent with just work and general laptop use like surfing hte net. its not the wireless problem, my laptop just feels like it lags a lot.

my laptop just feels like it lags a lot
You’ll understand it when I say - This is rather vague.

Having a feeling and something actually happening are quite different. Tell us more about your laptop - which desktop are you using? any effects? Processes in tray?

With your system in ‘lag’ mode
In a terminal type:

and post results here

Many of us remove beagle, as beagle slows down one’s PC (it index’s the entire hard drive, which has a significant performance impact/slow-down).

Also, many of us disable ipv6 (for internet surfing/access) as ipv6 is not fully implemented across the internet.

what is beagle I noticed this but I am not sure of what it is

Google is your friend: linux beagle - Google Search

Which gives this as its top hit:
Main Page - Beagle

oldcpu wrote:

> Which gives this as its top hit:

Which is also why I actually either disable or uninstall ‘beagle’. I have
two machines on which I run openSuSE 11, and on one I leave beagle running.
I’ve found, that after initial categorization and database building, it
really doesn’t consume too many resources (especially if the machine is
left on).

If you’re looking to trend your machine a bit more, you might also take a
look at installing the ‘sysstat’ package. Included with this package
is ‘sar’ which creates a database of meminfo, cpuinfo, etc., much like top.
You can then query the db for information around the times you notice
slow-down.

HTH!

Menes Narmer
menesofmemphis [at] gmail [dot] com

“Unity and humility is the lesson all of history teaches.”

sorry for being vague.

i have a compaq presario v3000 laptop, amd turion 64, nvidia gforce go 6150, broadcom bcm4312 built in wireless card, 2gb ram, 80 harddrive.

i am using opensuse 11 with the gnome desktop.

the system is actually slow, mostly when playing linux games and occasionally when doing work or just general use.

by processes in teh tray, you mean the stuff by the date and time?

all i got there is the date and time, volume, wireless signal, the ac power icon, display info and the updates icon.

Ye, I have the same problem with SLED 11(Suse Linux Enterprise Edition 11), I just installed it, it is fresh-fresh and it even lags when I type, Move mouse(the mouse jumps…), when I open any application, when I watch a video on youtube sometimes it lags(in about every 5-10 seconds)… Any action is delayed a lot… I really get annoyed by mouse jumping… I’m not using compiz. By the way, after I disabled Beagle it worked a little more better.
My specs:
CPU: AMD64 3000+ , 2.0 GHz(just 1 core)
RAM: 2,5 GB Ram
Video: ATi Radeon x550 256 MB/128 bit
HDD: Sata2

This is an openSUSE support forum, not a SLED support forum. One can get support for SLED here: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) - NOVELL FORUMS

Still, we can not let you go without a bit of speculation. :slight_smile:

Note Youtube is not a good for determining lag. Often youtube itself is at fault when streaming, especially for high definition.

Note, when it comes to playing back High Defnition (HD) video, IF that is what you are trying to do, your PC does not have the specs for a smooth playback of HD. The only PCs of those spec’s, that I know that can play HD video under Linux, are those with nVidia cards that use VDPAU.

Also, when it comes to playing back video smoothly, you may get better performance if you select in each multimedia player the output mode “xv” instead of “x11”. There are also other choices you can try, and the optimal selection of these choices may vary dependant on the graphic driver you have selected …

…which leads me to another point, … WHAT graphic driver are you using? The vesa driver? The openGL driver (refered to as “radeon” or “radeonhd” in your PC’s /etc/X11/xorg.conf file) or the proprietary ATI grahic driver (referred to as “fglrx” in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file)? Note one MUST install extra software to use the “fglrx” driver. There are guides which explain how to do this for openSUSE and I assume they may also work for SLED.