Thread: fonts are different with NVidia / ATI drivers

Default fonts are different with NVidia / ATI drivers

Hi

At home, I have 2 machines that have ATI cards, and now finally, at work, I managed to change this junk Ubuntu for openSUSE 11.0.
    Here at work, I have 2 monitors and NVidia card.
    Drivers are installed, compiz works, cube rotates fine, dualhead works superb.

However fonts, even if is same font, looks slightly less quality with NVidia then on my home machines. Like it's lacking 'final touch' ...how to explain... little rough.

Does anyone knows why? Suse is the same, graphic card/driver is different.

Default Re: fonts are different with NVidia / ATI drivers

I have heard about this before...in fact there was a fairly healthy rant started on this topic...LOL. At issue is if I recall...anti-aliasing is different....you might have to do some tweaking to make it work...I personally had an nVidia 5600 card in my other machine and I just tweaked the mess out of it till it looked like I wanted. You may still find that it is fighting you....just keep tweaking but dont break anything....

Course if you are like me, your box ever-so-often dies at the window environment or HAL at startup and you have to go to failsafe to a Sax2 -r and then reboot....wooo hooo....still better than the alternative.

I digress...I think also that other topic dealt with a LCD screen vs CRT so if that is you then again I say, work with the resolutions, change some settings here and there and really explore the forums and your own box...try different fonts and see if you can make it pop!

L8R
    Rich

Default Re: fonts are different with NVidia / ATI drivers

Oh so there are issues about this. In time of posting, I forgot that thing is called anti-aliasing.
    I will look for it, but for what matters, it's fairly odd problem.