Please help me with KMail / Kontact question.

Hi,

I have installed and set up Outlook, Thunderbird, Claws, Evolution and some free Chinese thing probably two dozen times but I have never been able to receive email with Kmail…???
I know my POP server (pop.west.cox.net), I know my smtp server (smtp.west.cox.net) and I know my username and password. No matter how carefully and painstakingly I set up Kmail I invariably get the message that the server rejected my login because the username or password are incorrect when I try to receive mail. I can send from KMail without a hitch.

Any ideas ? I am pretty frustrated about it. Is there something different about it than all of these other applications? Is there something tricky about the setup that I might be missing and therefore screwing up ?

I can’t imagine one. I am a Cox user, and Kmail works very easily w/o any extra setup. Are you using clear text for the authentication method? Are you using any encryption? (These are both under the “Security” tab in Kmail account configuration).

Also, just to cover bases, you do know that you need to configure receiving accounts in Kmail, in addition to the “Identities”, right? You need at least one identity, and then you need to set up your send and receive accounts to tie to the identity. Comes in handy when I need to send an email from home (Cox) that appears to have come from my school account.

What steps have you taken in the configuration process?

• brjoon1021,

two things come to my mind: Is your username correct? Sometimes you need to use a full mail address, sometimes only the part in front of the “@”, sometimes even a special account name. And your password is definitely correct?

Also, on the account in KMail, security tab, play with SSL settings, and make sure you tested the authentication methods supported by the server.

Uwe

Thanks. It was really simple to fix. I ad been putting my entire username with the @cox.net. Kmail just wants the bare username. Now I am up and running.

wnj92996, Do you use pipelining with Cox ?