Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to learn programming

FastZ NNTP User

Default Want to learn programming

Hi guys, I'm wanting to learn how to program. I've dabbled in bash scripting a bit, but couldn't keep at it long enough to learn anything. I took FORTRAN way back in high school and then C++ shortly after, but haven't used it for anything since (almost a decade ago) so naturally, I've pretty much forgotten everything about the language.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on where to start. I haven't taken any formal courses on programming and it doesn't look like I will be able to as there's none in my IT Security degree plan that I'm in the middle of in college. What are the best books or online tutorials/free courses that I could take a look at so I can possibly learn some things.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Want to learn programming

Well the question is what language are you aiming for? If you are interested into application development I would recommened C/C++, if you are more into web give PHP a go.
    In general I can recommened you books from O'Reilly!
    Don't ask me what my opinion is, you won't like it anyway.

you should learn C and Java

Java is very easy to learn

lambda_geek NNTP User

Not quite,new comers to programming find Java hard to learn.
    The best first language for a beginner is Python or Ruby which are very similar as well.
    Python is a high-level multi-paradigm programming language,that has Object-orientation and functional programming.
    if you are more into web give PHP a go.
    In general I can recommened you books from O'Reilly!
    You can use any programming language you want to do web development,embedding into a web server.
    So if you are learning programming,you dont have to learn a new language specially for web development you can you use any language you want using Common Gateway Interfaces.
    I will say start with Python,you will find it easy to learn,and to use,and its a very powerful programming language with a strong community behind it.
    Then after having a good grasp at Python move on to C.
    I wouldn't recommend Java unless you are planning to get a Job.
    O'reilly and Apress have some very good books.
    The Python Wiki has everything you need to know to get started with Python.

Sorry but using C or C++ for a Web Application is definately nonsense. It's not build for it and the CGI interface in general is slow.

If you want to start making dynamic webpages, stick to a programming language which was designed for it - everything else doesn't make a sense.
    Don't ask me what my opinion is, you won't like it anyway.

lambda_geek NNTP User

Sorry but using C or C++ for a Web Application is definately nonsense. It's not build for it and the CGI interface in general is slow.
    No one said using C nor C++..and definitly not C++
    And C+CGI is the fastest you can get to be honest.
    And a lot of books about C and CGI have been written to prove my point.Search around Amazon.
    If you want to start making dynamic webpages, stick to a programming language which was designed for it - everything else doesn't make a sense.
    Google,Youtube,Yahoo,use Python for their web apps.
    PHP was a good choice when it first came out,but its a bad language,and is easily replaced to be honest.
    Read About WSGI
    PHP was at first designed to be a web-server programming language but now there are plenty and better alternatives.

first tell me you want programming for what?
    for IT solutions? for security? for simulation? for gaming? for what?

Quote Originally Posted by emab View Post
    first tell me you want programming for what?
    for IT solutions? for security? for simulation? for gaming? for what?
    Yes, different applications lend themselves more easily to different languages. You may even want to dust off your Fortran skills - most HPC applications are still in Fortran, some use a little bit of C as "the one ring" to bind all the Fortran codes together.

Quote Originally Posted by FastZ View Post
    I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on where to start.
    you can start with Python. Its very easy to learn. See the Python documentation site for details. Take the tutorial and see if it suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by collinm View Post
    you should learn C and Java

I got Java only after taking QBasic...I'm in C++ now and I personally find it easier then Java; however the concepts of Java are easily applicable to C++. For a good C++ book that'll get you through the basics I'd go with C++ Programming in Easy Steps. It's ISBN is 0-7607-7138-3 and only cost $10.00 (US)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast