Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: moodin plugin

  1. #1

    Default moodin plugin

    Hi,
    I am new to suse...........

    How to install moodin plugin in suse 11.0

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,526
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    Quote Originally Posted by jestinjoy View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to suse...........

    How to install moodin plugin in suse 11.0
    Is this for a splash screen engine for kde? If so, you will find "webpin" is an excellent resource for searches for packaged openSUSE applications:
    webpin search for moodin

    If my guess is correct, then install ksplash-engine-moodin.

    Note Packman site is another great place to search for apps:
    PackMan :: Package details for ksplash-engine-moodin

    There is a search tab on the packman site which works great.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,526
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    Quote Originally Posted by jestinjoy View Post
    How to install ....
    Reference "installing" , with your being new to openSUSE, I recommend you setup your software repositories (repos) with only 4 repos: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. No others. You can find info on how to do that here: Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community

    Once that is setup, with your pc on the internet, you could install ksplash-engine-moodin with the command:
    su -c 'zypper install ksplash-engine-moodin'


    Since you are new to openSUSE, I recommend you read this basic openSUSE concepts page:
    Concepts - openSUSE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    thanks for this post, helped me too with 11.1

    I downloaded pack from kde-look.org but could not finnish the setup by myself.

    Just another newbee.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10

    Question Re: moodin plugin

    Sorry for the double-post.

    As described above, I've installed the Moodin plug-in in openSuse v11.1.

    It were from Webpin, YaST finnished fine, I even checked the package in the Software Manager, but it seems to not work. Downloaded some splash screen which needs this support but the Moodin istallation needed message still keeps appearing. I rebooted the machine and still no luck on running this plug-in. Any thoughts? running kde3, default boot init is 2, could this be an issue?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,526
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    Quote Originally Posted by reeboker View Post
    Sorry for the double-post.

    As described above, I've installed the Moodin plug-in in openSuse v11.1.
    In my case , I built my package from the src rpm, ... on packman, I believe.

    You noted you went to web pin.

    When I go to web pin, I see two different sources:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/lemmy04/openSUSE_11.1
    and
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.1
    which one did you use? Is the one on KDE: the same as the one on lemmy04? How confident are you in either repository?

    I've never been a believer of using the KDE community respository, if I can rebuild the rpm myself. But if I had a choice , and if the rpm was not available for packman for 11.1 (but say its src was for 11.0), my approach would be to
    • first try to rebuild the 11.0 on packman for my 11.1 using the rpmbuild command (I'm not at a linux pc right now, and my memory is bad, so I can not give more details at this time - and you may not want more details);
    • second go for the KDE: community rpm
    • third, go for the lemmy repository
    BUT, if say I knew 'lemmy' and knew that they had 1st class rpms, I may change that order, because I believed they could package better rpms than I could get anywhere else. But I don't know that.

    If you want, let me know, and when I get back to my PC, I can check where I got my rpm from (by checking the packager of the rpm).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    Well, seems to me that something most be wrong with my install.

    I've checked from where I have installed the plugin, and it was from KDE:/Community. I did remove the package and tried the lemmy04 one, same results, and also I've tried the .rpm from packman repository, still no luck.

    Now I'm looking how to compile the .rpm package myself, as you've suggested. I found some webpages where the script is explained but for my newbie Linux eyes, seems complicated. But I could try, just wish that I will not mess up my system, as it happened already one time when I tried to install ATI drivers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,526
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    Quote Originally Posted by reeboker View Post
    Well, seems to me that something most be wrong with my install.

    I've checked from where I have installed the plugin, and it was from KDE:/Community. I did remove the package and tried the lemmy04 one, same results, and also I've tried the .rpm from packman repository, still no luck.

    Now I'm looking how to compile the .rpm package myself, as you've suggested. I found some webpages where the script is explained but for my newbie Linux eyes, seems complicated.
    To rebuild is easy, as long as you have the appropriate ".dev" packages installed (which IS the tricky part).

    You can find the source file here from Packman:
    http://packman.links2linux.org/downl...0.pm.0.src.rpm

    Then you rebuild it AS A REGULAR USER with:
    Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild /path/to/the-rpm/ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2-0.pm.0.src.rpm
    where you need to put in the correct path.

    It will tell you where the rpm is located /usr/src/packages/rpm ..... (I'm not at a linux PC right now and can not tell you off the top of my head the EXACT directory where it will be and I may have the above partial path wrong ) and then after you find it, simply install that rpm with
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
    or what ever the built rpm file name is called. I typically rename my file names so as not to get confused where they came from, so in my case the file name for openSUSE-11.1 would be renamed to: " ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2-0.oldcpu-pm-111.0.i586.rpm " (or something like that)

    If the rpm installed, and it does not work, remove the rpm.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    LoL, me feel funny now. Just checked the forum, again, and see you've wanted to guide me trough, but now I've spent some time creating the package with these sites Tux Training Blog Archive How to install .src.rpm packages in openSuse and some couple others. Everything worked, .rpm created sucessfully, installed too. Checked the software manager for if is the .rpm really there, everything looks ok.

    BTW:When I select the required splash, the Moodin needed message keeps appearing still tho.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,526
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: moodin plugin

    Quote Originally Posted by reeboker View Post
    LoL, me feel funny now. Just checked the forum, again, and see you've wanted to guide me trough, but now I've spent some time creating the package with these sites Tux Training Blog Archive How to install .src.rpm packages in openSuse and some couple others. Everything worked, .rpm created sucessfully, installed too. Checked the software manager for if is the .rpm really there, everything looks ok.

    BTW:When I select the required splash, the Moodin needed message keeps appearing still tho.
    A silly question, but what command did you use to install the rpm? If you using the "rpm" command, try running:
    Code:
    SuSEconfig
    ldconfig
    then retart your KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •