Thread: Possible False Advertising Case

Default Possible False Advertising Case

Peeps

I have just purchased a Toshiba Tecra A9 laptop. Sweet machine once get used to the Vista keyboard layout.

Intel MB with Core2 Duo processor. I first fired up the 64 bit version of the openSUSE 11.0 LiveCD (KDE4) and was totally surprised that the only thing that seemed to be misconfigured was the mousepad, the mouse seemed to move all over the screen at random intervals, issue with the scroll wheel part I think.

Anyway important thing was the wireless seemed to work and I was able to connect to my WPA-PSK configured wireless hub.

Cool.

So I started to install the real openSUSE 11.0. Via the network install and had some problems configuring the wireless via that medium. So ended up using the wired connection. Installed OK.

After booting, once OS was installed, discovered the wireless is now not working. I did some research.

Intel iwlwifi driver is loaded when I do a lsmod. However the Alt-F10 screen shows error:

kernel: iwl4965: iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode firmware file req failed: reason -2
    kernel: iwl4965: could not read microcode: -2

Looking in the /lib/firmware directory sure enough there was no iwlwifi file.

Downloaded the firmware file from intelwireless.org site and copied it into the /lib/firmware as per their instructions, but still same message.

The downloaded file is named iwlwifi-4965.ucode not iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode as the driver is requesting. (extra -1 in name)

Now back to my original thread topic. I think Novell have to be careful that they do not make people believe that the LiveCD is a good way for people to try out the OS on hardware before committing to the real OS. I do believe this is how Live CDs are marketed, and if there are going to be issues like this they are opening themselves up to all sorts of issues.

Now for more troubleshooting to get this working. I see there is an issue with the kernel version and the iwlwifi driver, so onto that path on research.

Jim
    ----
    PyeNet Universal
    Pye, James Pye, chmod 007. The Ultimate Open Source.

Default Re: Possible False Advertising Case

One hour later while installing another peice of software surprise surprise. The YaST software management wanted to download and install the iwlwifi firmware. And letting it do it Wahoo. Now working Wireless.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimpye View Post

I think Novell have to be careful that they do not make people believe that the LiveCD is a good way for people to try out the OS on hardware before committing to the real OS. I do believe this is how Live CDs are marketed, and if there are going to be issues like this they are opening themselves up to all sorts of issues.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'opening themselves up to all sorts of issues'!?
    There's no guarantee that something that happens to work on the LiveCD
    must work after you install the system. As you found out.

Actually, as it turns out, you were one of the lucky few who could get their wifi working
    from the LiveCD...most could not. So, Novell has very little LiveCD reputation to live up to,
    when it comes to wifi in 11.0.

Hopefully, 11.1 will be better.
    Box1: MEPIS-8.5/sidux/openSUSE-11.3M6(broken-wifi/hiddenSSIDs)/XP(32-bit), nvidia 5200
    Lap1: antiX-8.5(KDE4.4.3)/MEPIS-8.5/Vista, Intel 945GM, builtin-wifi->Broadcom-4311(drv=wl)

>
    > Actually, as it turns out, you were one of the lucky few who could get
    > their wifi working
    > from the LiveCD...most could not. So, Novell has very little LiveCD
    > reputation to live up to,
    > when it comes to wifi in 11.0.

The main problem is that no distro has the rights to distribute
    firmware for many of the wifi vendors. As long as that situation
    applies, wireless for LiveCD's will not work on those devices.

Larry