VNC

Hi, am sure this is a noob question, but could do with the help!!

I have installed a new OpenSUSE 11.0 machine and want to be able to VNC to it. When the machine is logged in I can VNC but when it is at the login screen I cannot.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks.

ssh yourservername
su ( become root, needs password )
#cd /etc/X11
#cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.new
#cp xorg.conf.install xorg.conf
#reboot ( your server )
(ping yourserver, after reply wait a minute)
vncviewer yourservername:0

do not type the text between ( … )

There are three types of VNC that I have found. Which one do you want?:

1. Remote management. This is configureable in YaST. When you log on to your machine, it will start a brand new session regardless if you have one already logged int. You cannot use the session already logged in. This runs on port 5901 (usually.)

2. KRFB. This is a VNC daemon specifically for KDE. It will lets you use your already-logged-in KDE session through VNC. It doesn’t let you start a new session or give access to the login screen (this may have changed - it has been a while since I used it.)

3. Standard X VNC. This is my preferred way. This let’s you use whatever session is already logged in, and will allow you to log in with another one; in other words, it gives complete access to the X server in what ever state it is in. This use to be configurable in the SAX2 module (YaST -> Hardware -> Graphics Card and Monitor); but, it is not found in openSUSE 11.0 anymore ofr some reason. I wrote how to set this up manually here:

Remote Access missing in openSuSE 11? - openSUSE Forums

I hope this helps,
g